Interconnect Directionality

Have I lost my mind? I swear that I am hearing differences in the direction I hook up my interconnect cables between my preamp and power amp. These are custom built solid core silver cables with Eichmann bullet plugs. There is no shield so this is not a case where one end of the cable’s shield is grounded and the other isn’t. 

There are four ways ways to hook them up:
Right: Forward. Left: Forward. 
Right: Backward. Left: Backward
Right: Forward. Left: Backward
Right: Backward. Left: Forward. 

There is no difference in construction between forward and backward, but here are my observations:

When they are hooked up forward/backward there appears to be more airy-ness and what appears to be a slight phase difference. When hooked up forward/forward or backward/backward, the image seems more precise like they are more in phase. The difference between forward/forward and backward/backward is that one seems to push the soundstage back a little bit while the other brings it towards you more. 

What could possibly cause this? Does it have something to do with the way the wire is constructed and how the grains are made while drawn through a die? Am I imagining this? Have I completely lost my mind?
128x128mkgus
By listening, what I can hear is that when one is “backwards” and the other “forwards”, there seems to be a phase issue where the imaging is less precise. If both are backwards OR both are forwards, the phase issue goes away. I cannot easily distinguish between forwards and backwards for the pair, just that I can figure out how to get the cables in unison if that makes sense. If I hear the phase issue and I swap the direction on one cable it goes away. After that is solved, I can reverse both cables simulataneously so they stay in unison but I have difficulty determining the best direction. I think I have a preference but it’s subtle enough that I can’t be sure I’m not fooling myself. Perhaps more listening will allow me to figure it out. Any suggestions?
What I’m trying to suggest is how do you know which end of the cables is which if the wires inside the cables were not “controlled for directionality” at the factory. If one wire is the reverse of the other “directionality wise” then it would make sense that your best results are when one cable is the reverse of the other. Of course, having all cables (wires) including speaker cables in the “correct direction” would make it easier to discern differences in direction. You can’t judge a book by looking 👀 at the cover. Plus there’s a direction issue with the shield, if the interconnects are shielded.
If you want to make your head explode read about Iconoclast Cables.There is a long thread on AudioCircle and a couple of reviews on Audio Bacon.The three styles of Iconoclast cables are made exactly the same and measure exactly the same.The only difference is the type of copper used in each.They all sound different.The man that designs them freely admits he doesn't know why.It's fascinating reading with many charts and calculations for any science nerds that are interested :-)

In this specific example, these cables were made by hand by myself but there was no controlling for directionality “at the factory,” because at the time of construction I didn’t know directionality existed. I learn more everyday. There are 3 conductors - 1 signal and 2 return. So with 6 wires total between 2 channels it’s possible there is a hodge podge of forwards and backwards. Even if that is the case, there should still be better or worse ways to hook them up. I’m assuming the signal cable plays a larger role so hopefully not all is lost if the neutrals are in the wrong direction.

Fascinating. I believe I found the Audio Bacon review:

https://audiobacon.net/2019/05/27/iconoclast-cables-same-measurements-different-sound/?amp=1

The more I learn about this hobby, the more mysterious it becomes. Where does it end?