Integrating a subwoofer

I had a 10 inch AR subwoofer I purchase more than 20 years ago.  Condition is still quite good at least cosmetically.  Everything functions as it should.  It has phase switch, crossover frequency and volume adjustments.  My amp is a parasound NC 2125 v2 which has a "high pass" filter (HPF) with two cut off frequencies at 20 and 40 hz.  My main speakers are Wharfedale Linton with the frequency response from 40 hz to 20 khz.  When I integrate the subwoofer (connected through loop out) in without any filtering, the bass from subwoofer is boomy, tempo is off and can not catch up with the bass from the Linton.  I experiment the crossover of the subwoofer from the lowest frequency all the way to 60 hz, no notable improvement is made.  Then I set the HPF (in amp) at 20 hz, bass is cleaner, more defined but is still not as tight or speedy as I desire.  I do not wish to set the HPF at 40 hz because it defeats the purpose of having a subwoofer.  Any advise?  What should I do to make it the integration better, OR do I need a better subwoofer?  Any recommendation?

lanx0003

Showing 2 responses by lanx0003

Thank you all for the advises and corrections. While waiting for the LOC to arrive, I will go over these suggestions before devoting to a DSP. Also, I replace the softer rubber feet with the anti-vibration isolation pads that was used for washer and it helps.

Again, thank you all for your inputs, especially the correction and suggestion of line out converter (LOC) from millercarbon. My sub finally comes alive and is even better than before with my Cambridge integrated amp when connecting to preamp out. Much of refinement now is also attributable to the HPF on my parasound, where I still set it at 20 hz. I found at 20 hz the bass from subwoofer is more weighty and still controlled. At 40 hz, the low end lacks weight/extension and not as dynamic. Also, the sweet spot of crossover on my subwoofer is between 60 hz and 70 hz. Beyond 70 hz, the mid-bass starts sounding a bit too much boosted. I was never aware Einstein is also an audiophile genius.