Integrateds - Revisited Yet Again

Speakers: NHT 2.5i's
Source: Rotel 971 transport, MSB Nelson Link III

Keeping both peices.

What do you guys think about using the Moon I-5 integrated? Good match?

The other day I tried out the Roksan Caspian... Found the bass a bit too heavy (admittedly, it was likely the room). The treble was a bit rolled off , although it was good (forgiving of less than perfect recordings). The midrange was recessed....too recessed compared to the remainder of the frequency range. This is also characteristic of the speakers and so, exacerbated the problem. Further, the sound was a little dry and lacked transparency.

I'm not saying that the Caspian is not a quality peice. It is just not a great match with my existing equipment (Which i don't want to sell right now).

Will the Moon I-5 address these issues? Is it a far more capable integrated? (it SHOULD be, considering it's 1000 bucks more).

By the way, i live in Canada, so the Moon equipment is a (relatively) good bargain.

Any comments regarding this integrated would be highly valued.

thanks

steve
loose

Showing 1 response by milagmilag9077

Forgot to mention, following my lengthy e-mail...YES the Unico would be a nice amp for you. Go for the hybrid if you can. There IS a dealer in Montreal I beleive, very nice man as I almost purchased this unit back in December. Forgot the dealers name, but will post it if it comes back to me...about Classé. Here is what I think of it, as I am a previous owner of a cap 151. Very powerfull, solidly built, but definitely not as refined as the class-leading integrateds out there. Comparisons with Bryston come to mind. Both have a ''full'' sound, but midrange is somewhat grainy and high frequencies can sound harsh. You must use audio cables that are softer sounding and round-out these unit's sound or else you will be kept on the edge....One issue with Classé service-wise...( try this for yourself) I once phoned the company, wanting to speak to a technician about a slight hum I was hearing. I was told that...''since Classé is soooo busy answering the needs of their clients WORLDWIDE I could expect a technician to return my call in ...a couple of weeks!!!'' Try the same with Cary ( in my humble opinion, they should be no less ''busy'' than Classé) and you can usually talk to someone like Kirk on first try, or at least the same day.

Don't mean to be knocking on fellow-canadian companies, but I've just had enough of companies that sell gear that cost an arm and a leg, without the accompanying respectfull service. At least if the gear was stellar-sounding, but it's not.

that felt good!!!!
Mike