integrated SET amp for $1000

I need some amplifier recommendations. I am looking for a new or used directly heated SET amp for around $1000. I'm not looking for a kit but I'm not averse to getting an already made DIY amp. I need at least a few watts, probably 3, so I've been looking at 2a3 amps. I don't need anything fancy, just one input, a volume attenuator and something that sounds sweet. I've looked at the almarro a205a but that is a SEP, the decwares, which are not true DH SETs and wright WPA 3.5 monoblocks but those are missing the volume attenuator (I don't want to get into buying a preamp). Are there any decent DH SET integrated amps out there for $1000 or so? Are there any personal favorites that some of you can recommend?
pizzatheorem

Showing 2 responses by pizzatheorem

Sebrof, yeah I contacted Min. He seems like a good guy and his amps look nice as well with quality parts like James OPT but the price would probably come to $1500 with shipping which is a bit out of my league.

Nightfall, I have my eye on the 318Bs for sure but again, the cost is a little high.

I decided to go with the little almarro a205a mkII after all. It can be wired as a true SET if I want (output 1.5 watts I believe), otherwise it's 4.8 watts. It also has a good resale value. It's my first foray into audiophile gear so I think it will keep me busy for a while. Now to decide between zu omens and tekton lores. I will likely go with the lores and have Eric put in some upgraded caps. I'm also building some open baffles and have a Jolida FX10 on hand. I will have a lot of combinations to play with.

Thanks Sebrof. I'm not yet committed to the lores and may yet go with the omens depending on what is easier to get here in Canada. I'm not anxious to pay $300+ on shipping. I will likely open up the a205a and install the v-caps.

Incidentally, how hard was it to build your amp from the kit?