integrated or separates...on a $1200 price point?

I am running B&W 685s and a HSU sub in a 2.1 system, and I need to upgrade my 15 year old Yamaha receiver. I have been advised to purchase a high-end integrated rather than separates in my price range, which is around $1200 or so. So I am looking at: Creek 5350SE, Exposure 2010s, Parasound Halo A23/P3 (used), or used NAD gear (like the 2200 power amp). Looking for great sound reproduction across several genres, not all of which are easy to reproduce: rock, classical, some dense IDM, and other heavily layered music. I am wondering if the lower wattages of the integrateds leave enough head room to punch through the entire frequency spectrum.
realremo

Showing 4 responses by realremo

room size is about 14x12, 8 foot ceiling. Its in the basement and two walls are concrete foundation. When it comes to volume, I like it kind of loud, typically working while listening to the dial set from 9 to 11 o'clock. Power cord and decent ICs will have to come later. Right now I use audioquest G snakes, and I might be able to swing a couple hospital grade outlets and Jewel power cords from PS Audio. The changer is just as old and under-performing as my Yamaha amp, but one thing at a time.
The Plinius is gorgeous. Looks are important to me at this price point, but it would be nice to have power-amp-in jacks so I can buy a really nice pre-amp in a few years. The Anthem 225 gets good reviews but falls short on looks - though I do like having balanced inputs.
Its curious to me no one has voted in favor of the Creek or the Parasound gear. I thought for sure there would be some fans out there.
Also noticed recently that Parasound Classic 2100 pre amp has bass management built in - which is nice because I run a 2.1 system, I would not have to buy a separate BMC! I could high-pass the B&Ws. BUT the Classic series is kind of ugly.
Thanks for all the advice. I am still saving up, I don't know how long I can last before I pull the trigger on some new equipment.