Integrated for B&W 805 Signatures

Ok guys, simple question, I'd appreciate some input on those that have some knowledge here. I recently sold everything and started over, acquiring a pair of these 805 Signatures and I'm looking for a good integrated. Price is important, but flexable. Popular one's I've read up on:

1) Classe CAP-151 (new CAP-2200 is pretty pricy)
2) McIntosh 6500
3) Plinius 9100
4) Music Hall Mambo
5) Musical Fidelity
6) Many tubed players, but have 2 under 3yrs old.

Thanks.

Dave
davedimes

Showing 2 responses by adasilva

I did have a Classe CAP101 (100w/ch) but these speakers sound better at any volume level with more power. They sound much better with 200w/ch, perhaps the 150w/ch would work OK. I was not crazy about the Classe CAP/preamp section in the CAP integrated although some may like the Classe sound. I demoed the McIntosh 6900 (200w/ch & $$) with the B&Ws. I demoed some $3k tube integrateds, no again. I have not tried the newer Musical Fidelity int-amps.

I'm currently using the Krell 400xi. It has 200w/ch, is very queit and, I think, works best with copper cables (<2200 new). Good luck. Al
-->>Adasilva - did you like the CAP-101 or the MA6900 the best? What did you think of the McIntosh vs. the Krell? <<--

I thought the Classe CAP-101 integrated did NOT have enough power for the Signature 805 speakers. I kinda liked the MA6900 however it's $5k new and $3.5k or more used.

The Krell 400xi is 200w/ch and less than $2200 new and has fully balanced XLR inputs. The the very tight bass definition did it for me. Also, I did not find the highs to be harsh (w/copper cables). The music seemed to jump out of the speakers (some people don't like this forward type of presentation). On a quiet sections of a CD the background noise is almost non-existant. I did not get that with my Classe integrated. If you already have a tube CD player it might be a good combo but only you can tell.