Integrated Amps vs. Separates.

I'm curious what people think the better option is, integrated amp or seperates. It seems that integrated amps are a cost cutting measure, but do they also cut sonic quality? Assuming similiar price ranges, what would people here generally choose. Give me some examples/brands/models and comparisions from your experiences. Thnaks. Carter p.s. Is the Krell KAV 300i really the king of integrateds like many reviewers say (i.e not only better than all other integrated amps but better than most seperates)?
mailman199
I think there is a mis-conception of integrated amps. As I stated, there are no "all out, no money limit" integrated amps, at least that I know of, but there are for separates. In that light, separates are superior for all out performance. Therefore it is conceived that they are just plain better. Seprates have the ability to upgrade the two sections obviously. But at price points that include integrated amps, I have to believe they become very competitve. Heck, I too have fallen into that trap.
Hi Mailman. I recently heard a Gryphin (not sure of spelling) 100w integrated. After listning to Goldmund's top of there line pre amp and amp we put in the Gryphin. We did this twice. It was a short listning session. Not somthing I lived with. I have never owned or considered an integrated. Shame on me. The Gryphon sounded wonderful. I would like to listen to it in my system. But what if it sounds better than my big bad SE tube mono amps and my custom made pre amp? And what would my audio buddies think. Really, I was impressed. Everything in one sexy looking box and only 1 PC. Good thread Mailman.
Just a little comment regarding state-of-the-art, price-no-object integrated amps. They do exist, but are admittedly quite few in number. The Jeff Rowland Group Concentra comes to mind as offering some serious goods for their $5k+ price. Then there's that infamous Audio Note Ongaku, which is completely wired with high grade silver wire, even in the tubes and transformers, apparently. A new one costs a cool $60,000 if you can track one down.
integreted is a very convenient way to go but after having tried various units the krell included I still find all a bit lacking especially in the area of depth or should I say the lack of a 3d soundspace just too flat sounding to me I wish they did surpass separates but so far not quite yet but close