Integrated Amp recommendation for $300 that will balance well with Vandersteen and NAD

I’m looking for a new/used integrated amp that will mate well and balance with my Vandersteen 2C speakers and NAD C542 CD player. My speakers cables and Interconnects are Mogami by 10-Audio.

Some Background:

I recently sold my NAD C370 integrated amp. I liked the sound, but it was a bit dark and veiled when I happen to compare it one day to my buddy’s Denon DRA-625 receiver. Granted, the Denon was more “analytical” sounding, but it was noticeably more open, airy when compared to the C370. Also, it seemed to have better (deeper) bass response. Keep in mind, this is what I heard on my system.

In looking for a new/used integrated, I’m thinking I need something that is bright (brighter) but not harsh that will then balance the Vandersteen’s and mate well with the C542 cd player. My budget for this is $300 max. I was reading about the Acurus DIA-100 and thought this might be a good possibility?

Any other recommendations? Also, my room size is 12x12, and the 2C’s are a pretty consistent 8 ohm speaker. Specs indicate they require 40-160 wpc, so I’m wondering too if some of the 30-40 wpc integrateds would work? The Creek 4040s2 or 4330 come to mind. The C370 was 120wpc and it did crank, but so does the Denon… which is 60wpc. I never listen loud anyway. The room is 12x12, so I don’t need much to get it too loud.

Some other integrateds I’m curious about include: Sony TA-F555ES, Yamaha A-S500, Onkyo A-9050, etc. The Sony TA-F555ES is available locally. Anyone have any experience with the Acurus, or any of these integrated amps? 

Sincerely, JSB

jsbach1685

Showing 2 responses by akg_ca

It's your  $300 ceiling that is an arbitrary but severe limiting factor  in your quest and anybody offering up meaningful suggestions. At $300, the differences and improvements between choices are largely absent in a general "pick 'em" arena of contenders and pretenders.

I had the very same NAD C370 and C542 kit in a prior "B" system (With Totem ARROS and Chord cables) so I know the NAD component strengths and warts very well. IMO your C370 was among the better choices in your current price strata and will best most receivers hands down....full stop.

When it comes to that ethereal system synergy that you are currently lacking, the main non-fixable "wart" against them is their signature NAD sound (you already saw it .....amp AND cd ....) that does not marry well with a not-insignificant number of electronics, speakers, AND cable brands .

The second "wart" against the C370 that IS largely fixable was two mods:
(1) changing the stock uber- crap soldered-in "zip" power cord and
(2) changing the really crummy stock as-cheap-as-you-can-go preamp jumpers.

I had the stock power zip chord professionally dremmelled out in favour of a quality female IEC and external power chord . Big difference. 

Also I replaced those ultra-POS cheap metal jumpers with short run RCA terminated interconnects. Again, a step up.

These two mods together helped tame that "dark" overtone and sharpened the overall performance. ....the improvements  were not subtle.

IMO..... if you accept a higher price ceiling to  say, to a $500-$1000 range for an integrated amp (fuhgeddaboud any receiver with their crummy power supplies and dodgy stats that are already well publicized ) then the available integrated amp suggestion list becomes exponentially meaningful.

The degree of improvement in audio performance in this step-up price point strata that you are craving is not insignificant. These units are all built to a pricepoint and you only get what you pay for.

Postscript on the C370 price point as a comparison

let's not forget that this integrated amp new was $1000+ before taxes and inflation 10-odd years ago ...... The $300 suggested budget ceiling by the OP is at the extreme low end of this unit now in used condition before mods, and expecting "better" at $ 300 is a tall order IMO