Integrated amp & player for B&W 804, pls

Hi, All.

I bought B&W Nautilus 804. Now I am in the process of choosing the right gear to drive them. I listened them with Denon 5803, Marantz, Rotel 1065 ... and I did not like what I heard. So, I decided to go with Integrated amplifier. Doing some search I found it seems people like them with Mcintosh 6500, Classe CAP-151. What do you think about these Int amp, or could you recommend something else? And with CD player I am kinda lost. I read NAD got the good scores at What Hi-Fi? magazine but I am not sure. Besides I'd prefer to have 5-CDs changer.

Thanks in advance,
Konstantin
konstantin_agon

Showing 2 responses by loki7177

i have heard the classe a couple of times once one a pair of magnepans and another time on a pair of revel f30s. i was not impressed with it. it did not draw me into the music. it was very boring and not very refined. never heard the mcintosh. if you are looking for an intergrated i would recommend a plinius 8200, unison research unico, or a vtl it-85. the plinius is the best solid state intergrated i have heard. i have not heard them all and i am sure there are better but this amp is very sweet. it sound very warm a little tube like, and at 175 wpc it has power to drive most speakers. i currently own the unico and it is a great integrated amp. it is hybrid amp that uses 12au7 tubes in the preamp stage. it is very warm, and extremely natural and transparent. it just disappears. the vtl it-85 is an all tube amp. it is pretty quick and produces good bass for a tube amp. and it obviously has all the qualities of tubes. the plinius can be had easily here for under $1500. the unico cost $1295-$1395 brand new. i got it for $1100 used here. the vtl is very hard to find used. i am still looking for one. it cost $2500 new. as far as source goes i believe sony's, don't remember model number, sacd/cd changer is the best changer you can get for the money. it goes for $800 new so it is a real bargin if you can find it used. hope this helps and good luck.
forgot to mention one other thing. i used to own a pair of 805s and i used it with the unico for about a month. they are a great match. the tubes tamed the nautilus tweeter a little, and added some more sweetness to an already excellent midrange.