Integrated Amp - Looking to replace my amp & pre

I know this simular topic has been discussed before, I have a top quality amp (mono blocks)and preamp and I am getting to the point in my audio life where I would like to get a quality integrated amp. SS, tube or hybrid it doesn't matter. Power requirement 50 watts minimum 200+ would also be ok. I would love to hear responses from anyone who has made the switch to a high quality integrated and if they were happy with the switch. Price range $3000 - $10,000 new or used.

Thanks
bobheinatz
Ryder

I have listened to both.

LFD is the best "British Sound" amp there is. Will match well with speakers like Harbeth and Stirling that approximate the BBC Monitor sound. The build quality is second to none. Gene Rubin in Oxnard CA carries this line, for many years, and sells about 50 units a year.

Exposure has more tube like warmth (one writer compared it with Dynaco which is spot on) and will work well with speakers like Spendor and Neat. There is a person in Venice CA who has great history with this product, James at Sound Asylum. He is very fond of the Exposure/Neat combo.
I recently heard a Mastersound 845 Integrated in NJ which was lush,focused and highly musical. Retail price is $5795 and I am sure that you can get a reasonable discount. The 845 Reference Integrated lists at $12,500 and you could probably squeak in at about $10000 and I have heard nothing but raves about that integrated (although I have not heard it personally). In the other side of the less expensive spectrum the Primare solid state integrated is highly musical and can be had for less than $3000.
Depending on the room size and your loudspeakers I would opt for the tube Leben CS-600 at 32 watts/channel-MSRP $4,995. . If you have a reasonably efficient loudspeaker that is easy to drive, such as any Zu, any of the excellent Devore speakers, Harbeth, Green Mountain Audio Callisto, JM Reynaud Cantabile, many ProAcs, etc. Not to forget the fact that it has the best headphone output I have ever heard--bar none.

If you are looking for the best value of a great and full sounding integrated solid state the Wyred for Sound W4S STI-1000 integrated at MSRP $2,499. It has an amazingly tube-like digital amplifier based on the Bang & Olufsen ICE modules delivering 500 watts/channel @ 8 ohms and 1,000 watts/channel @ 4 ohms. There is a loop through to accomodate external crossovers and processors. Balance control and absolute phase are on tap. Needless to say, with this kind of power on tap clipping becomes a moot point.

Wyred for Sound, while not the most recognizable brand, is quite famous for building many things for PS Audio, as well as other high end brands. Connectivity is generous, with 4 pairs of high quality custom gold-plated copper alloy inputs which accept spades, bare wire, or banana connectors along with 1 set of gold-plated outputs and 1 set of Neutrik Balanced XLR inputs. Considerable burn-in time (~300 hours) is required to get the best performance.

All in all, this unit is capable of making most loudspeakers sound their best, not only in macrodynamics (which would be expected in such a powerful amp), but amazingly so in microdynamics.

The only problem with either integrated amplifier is that they don't include a phono stage. You would have to purchase that separately.

Of course, Leben makes an incredible preamplifier with a superb phono stage called the RS28CX at MSRP $5,695. If you want to match this with powerful and somehwat tube-like solid state amplifiers, the McCormack DNA-500 @ $6,995 @ 500 watts/channel into 8 ohms and 950 watts/channel into 4 ohms. The Modwright KWA-150 @ $5,995 with 150 watts/channel into 8 ohms and 250 watts/channel into 4 ohms. Also the Wyred for Sound stero amplifiers: W4S-1000 at 570 watts/channel into 8 ohms and 1,140 watts/channel into 4 ohms at MSRP $1,999. Or the Wyred for Sound W4S-500 stereo at 250 watts/channel into 8 ohms and 550 watts/channel into 4 ohms at $1,499.

Another great integrated tube amplifier with an excellent phono stage is the Audiomat Opera Reference at ~$9,000. Even though at 30 watts / channel of Class A power, the amp seems to be able to drive most anything with gusto and silkiness. This is a piece you owe it to yourself to audition.

Greg