Integra Research RDC-7 or Parasound Halo C2?

I have heard good things about both of these controllers, The RDC-7 has received high praise from various publications. The Halo C2 looks very promising, although it's track record is unsure as of yet, as it was just introduced about two moths ago. The Integra Research on the other hand has been out for over two years now. So even though the RDC-7 isn't new, it's totally up to date with all the new formats(THX Ultra 2, DTS-ES,DTS 96/24,DD-EX,Pro Logic 2), and it's still fully uprgadable. The RDC-7 still appears to be a strong contender in the A/V conroller arena, competeing favorably with controllers at or above it's price.

My question is, which do all think is the better choice between these two units? I want a controller that sounds awesome with both music and movies. The speakers that will be used with it are all Martin Logans. I am very critical about music reproduction, so I want something that will knock my socks off in 2 channel. I need your input, as I have no way of personally auditioning either of these controllers(no one in my area has one that I can demo).

Thanks in advance.
wolf32

Showing 5 responses by ton1313

I totally enjoy the RDC-7 for 2 ch music. I found it more detailed than my CAL Alpha tube DAC. This is a great product with a strong and fast upgrade path. All of the major mags list it just below the big dollar units, not that $4500 is cheap. Hope this helps.
Upgrade 2 version is correct, I shipped it out on a Monday and had it back by Friday. I like the upsampling feature, seems to me to have a little more in the low level detail department. The sound, I don't think can be described as warm or bright. I find it quite detailed, not quite warm like the tube sound I had with the CAL DAC. Movies are Top-notch! I did compaire it to the Sunfire Theater Grand II - and it was more detailed in both departments. I am totally satisfied with this unit, and will not be changing Pre's anytime soon. The unit has one of the best user interfaces I have used. VERY easy to set up and configure.

I hope you enjoy the unit.
What kind of Amplification, speakers, cables, source, etc. will you ve using?
My Current system:
Sony DVP-NS999ES DVD player
Integra Research RDC-7
Odyssey Stratos Amp (2 ch.) & Carver AV-505 Amp (5 ch.)
Zu Druid 2 Main speakers
Energy Surround speakers
Zu Retro subwoofer
Zu Ibis Speaker Cables, Zu Varial interconnects
Zu power cables
Toshiba 40H80 RPT.

I am very happy with this set up. The RDA-7 is supposed to be an amazing amp, but for the money, I would keep your 5 channel for center and surround duty, and look into a good 2 channel Amp & some better speaker cables and interconnects. The Odyssey can be had for under $1200 new. Speaker cables - I have tried all of Zu's speaker cables and think that they offer an excellent product for the money.

My wifes uncle hooked up an Sonic Frontiers Amp 2 with Straightwire Cresendo Speaker Cables, and Martin Logan Odyssey Speakers with great results. You could probably find this Amp & Cables used on the market for less than the RDA-7 Amp.

Hope this helps.
The Stratos, I think goes to 250 at 4 ohms. I did take it to my wifes uncle, and listen to it with his martin logans, and it sounded just fine. Hope that helps.