Integra processors good?

Looking to update my 16yr old Denon AVR-3000. I stopped by a local audio store & they suggested the Integra DHC-9.8 which is last years model & almost $1,000 less then the newer DHC-9.9 ($2300ish).

I know nothing about the company or their products so I though I would ask here. The store stated they are the best sounding processor for under $5,000 & are totally hand built!

He would let last years go for $1300, is that worth doing? Is there anything else I should consider?

thanks for any input/help!
128x128viggen900

Showing 4 responses by viggen900

thanks everyone.... I am not 100% sure on what to do but this is definantly helping me out a LOT. I was leaning towards a Denon AVR-4308 or a yet to be determined processor (I figured something used for $$ reasons). Then a local shop suggested this piece which is less then what I was planning on spending & offers a lot of nice features..... Do you guys think the integra would sound better then a AVR-4308? I hated the idea of buying a receiver with all the amps in there & not using them at all, seems like a waste to me.

My girlfriend's receiver is a yamaha RXV-2092 that she presently uses & since she is moving in with me we are combining systems. Her receiver is 7yrs newer then mine but it's still 10yrs old.... she has 4 parasound amps (HCA-1500a) which we will be using to run my old infinity kappa speakers. I plan on purchasing used Bryston amps (pr of 7b's or 14b) to power my main speakers (unless there is something better for similar money).
LOL.... I know what you mean, definantly not many females into music/stereo stuff (I also sold equiptment but that was 16yrs ago). She has another yamaha 2095, 7 pairs of Boston Acoustic speakers, a pair of mirage subs (only the 8in versions though) & that's it since before we hung out. Since we started dating she purchased a 73in mits diamond TV. The bad news is the reason we are dating (known her for 15yrs) is her husband passed away 2yrs ago of cancer (he was 37). He was really into music (has a parasound pre amp somewhere) & enjoyed HT as well. Left 3 kids behind who are know 6, 7 & 9. fortunantly she does still really enjoy the hobby & is OK with me tweeking her stuff a bit :)

With the room setup.... 13x21 with 8ft ceilings. about 1/2 of the side wall & back wall open up to another room. I purchased a PS3 for blueray duty & I will probably get something else in a year or so, I want a new receiver & main amp before I get a dedicated B ray player.... I think she agrees with me that my speakers sound a better which are infinity kappa 8.1vII's for front & rear with kappa video for center & hopefully side effects for 7.1 sound. I am not a fan of the mirage 8's so I plan on making 2 enclosures for hopefully a pair of 15's.

I have a adcom gfa5500 that we might use for side effects untill I can get a bryston to power the main speakers. I wanted to bi-amp the main 8.1's untill I could snag a better amp.

Hopefully that's enough info.... thanks!!
Well.... I took the plunge today & purchased the processor. Thanks for everyone's help/info!!!!

Definantly helped me out a LOT in my decision!!

& FIWI I do not have a turntable thus not a issue for me.... also after talking to the salesman he suggested that I do not go the 7.1 route.... stated 5.1 will be all I need for the room I have
Should the rear speakers be close to where we would sit or much behind us? I have room to put them a few feet back so they would be on the side wall but a few feet behind where I would sit. They are floor standing speakers so they will not be wall mounted.

We have 4 parasound amps so I figured bi-amping would be the way to go up front. Do you know if I can bi-amp the rears? I want to get a Bryston amp (I think 14b st... used) for the front mains then I thought I could bi-amp the rears. Not sure if I can do that though.