Integra processors good?

Looking to update my 16yr old Denon AVR-3000. I stopped by a local audio store & they suggested the Integra DHC-9.8 which is last years model & almost $1,000 less then the newer DHC-9.9 ($2300ish).

I know nothing about the company or their products so I though I would ask here. The store stated they are the best sounding processor for under $5,000 & are totally hand built!

He would let last years go for $1300, is that worth doing? Is there anything else I should consider?

thanks for any input/help!
128x128viggen900

Showing 1 response by nick778

As far as features and to get you into a pre/pro, they are ok but the 2 channel sound(and thus HT sound) is very lean according to some. That is the tradeoff for all the video features. It just doesn't sound good, imo, as a preamp.

Cary's new 11a audio processor (it doesn't have a video section but will of course accept and pass HDMI signals) is much better sounding but retails for $3500. There were some initial release issues on some units but I belive those issues have been cleared up with the new software update release. It processes all the new codecs etc.

So it depends on what you value and what your budget can handle. I've owned the 9.8, the Anthem D2 and the Cinema 11a. The Cinema 11a sounds the best of the three but the other two are more feature laden and have integrated video sections. Cary separates the video section in another unti called the 11v if you need one. I run my DVD straight to my TV for Blu-Ray and the HDMI cable to the 11a for lossless decoding.