Inner groove distortion as tonearm moves toward the center of record What is cause??

What exactly produces INNER GROVE distortion??  

Is it a  poorly aligned cartridge, or a  mismatch between the cartridge and tonearm combo???  

Is this distortion more evident on budget tables, and/or tables under  $500??

Thank you,

S.J. 

sunnyjim

Showing 1 response by cd318

In all of my experience with vinyl I don’t recall any issues with end of side distortion. Not even during the times of chronic audiophilia, not even with those extra long Bob Dylan LPs that couldn’t fit onto one side of a C90 cassette.

Even in the days of my Rega 3 with its silver S shaped arm I can’t recall any issues. Certainly not with the Ittok arm on my LP12. I think I would have done if there had been any as the final track on many of my favourite Beatles and Dylan LPs would be a standout one, played regularly.

I should add that I was careful with both cartridge alignment (gauges, mirror etc) and only ever used stylii which featured an elliptical profile. Back then we were told that a conical stylus could never track as well, so that was a big no-no.

Also the cartridges I used (Nagoaka and the better moving magnet Linn’s) were fairly easy to align. Tracking weight was always set within manufacturer’s given range, and finalised by listening carefully.

I also had an electronic Audio Technica stylus cleaner with its vibrating pad back then, which I can’t believe is not available today. It was pretty inexpensive but very effective, sadly I gave it away when I sold my Linn.