Initial impressions of my new Vandersteen Quatro's in Audi Havana Black

I will post pics when I get more time on them.  I had them delivered and set up by Johnny Rutan of Audio Connections.  He moved them out to the corners of the room and close up against the back wall. I love the look as does my wife.  I also LOVE the HUGE soundstage these things can now throw.  NO SUCK OUT either.  I was shocked at that aspect. I was scared to death when he started them in the corner of the room. I have a very difficult room for bass as it's an open floor plan. I lose a lot of bass on the right channel as it's by a stair case.  I'm putting up a temp wall by the railing.  I am using a screen right now, but I need treatment of some sort still. 

That said, it only has about 30 hours or so and it's already starting to sweeten up.  I'm hearing so many things that I haven't heard in the room before.  I'm hearing bass passages that hasn't been there before.  On one passage of a  Bela Fleck song, the room just moved.  The thing is that I've heard so many of these songs on Wilson's and Magico's and B&W"s and Focals, Paradigms, Legacy's and so many other speakers, but the tonality of the Vandersteen bass is just special.  It's so accurate. What so many don't know is that the way he designed the bass amp, you still have the same sound as YOUR main amp.  Not sure how he does it, but he does.  You don't hear the difference. 

I think that the reason some don't get the Vandersteen's at first listen is because it's not like other speakers.  We aren't used to hearing a speaker that isn't 'hifi' sounding.  Its very organic. To me, it's like analog vs digital.  Both can sound GREAT, but digital is still digital and that's why vinyl and reel to reel are still going strong after all of these years.  Kind of reminds me of a plasma TV vs the LCD TV's when I went to purchase mine.  I was originally taken by the brightest TV's in the showroom, but I keep going back and watching all the Plasma's in the darker room that Magnolia was showing them in.  I wanted the Pioneer, but could only afford the Panasonic's. I have two of them and love them.  People actually ask me why their TV doesn't look as good.  I first ask if they had it calibrated professionally.  The answer is always no and then tell them it's a plasma.  

Set up isn't fun for me, so Johnny does it for me.  I'm digging my new set up and will write more later, but i am Jonesing to go up to the loft to listen some more.  I'm really loving the organic sounds of my system right now.  All genres too which is just awesome.  Not taking any digs at others systems, just loving mine.  We all hear differently and I get that.
ctsooner
@schubert 
1.Yes, $1800 is a good price.
2. Great for symphonic music. Though I had the 2w subs.
3. Mine were closer together, but far from the rear walls. The sound was excellent. A lot depends upon your room.
FWIW, if you can get a pair of Treo's, it would make a better move.
Bob
1. not sure.  What year are they?  
2. his speakers have always been so neutral and the threes will move more air than the Treo's, just don't expect to get the same tightness etc... Compared to much of the stuff out there now days, I personally feel the soundstage is as good or bigger and that's on the older ones.
3. As far as separation, 8' is fine.  Just go to the site and make sure you set them up properly with the proper tilt back.  They will sound like a point source and are time and phase correct as you know, so they won't smear.  That will give you the layering of any genre you want.  

The newer the better IMHO.  They will make changes and not change the nomenclature of the speaker, so a 20 year old 3 isn't your best buy.  I'd much rather have a newer 2 that has the newer drivers that filtered down from the original Quatro's.  THAT would be a good deal.  If it's not that, personally, I'd try to save for a pair of new 2's, but that's still more.  I'm sure that you will get a good deal within your budget and get a great speaker.  If you know the serial numbers, sometimes they can help you on their site in the ask Richard area.  

Please keep up posted.
@ctsooner  +1  I had the 3A Signatures for many years and found them very good on symphonic music which makes up a decent amount of my listening.  Set-up is crucial.  Once you find the right location in your room with the proper tilt-back you will be good to go.  Good luck!