Info on Monster Alpha Genesis 500

I'm interested in buying a table with a Monster Alpha Genesis 500 cartridge mounted on it. Does anyone know anything about it -- when it was made, retail price, output, whether it's MM or MC, and whether the stylus is replaceable? Assuming it is still in good condition, is this a good sounding cartridge? Thanks.
pug

Showing 1 response by timo

I am currently using a Monster Sigma Genesis 2000 cartridge that I purchased from Audio Advisor as part of a VPI HW-19 Mk. III/SME 309 table combo. It is/was Monster's top-of-the-line cartridge which, as the gentleman mentioned above, was sold exclusively by AA in later years. It retailed for about $1200 new and was sold by AA for $600. It is an excellent sounding low-output MC (.25mv) and requires plenty of clean gain from a high-quality phono preamp. (I am using an Audio Research PH 3 with excellent success).

However, if you want to replace the A-Genesis 500 with an excellent modern cartridge. Try the ClearAudio Aurum Beta or Aurum Beta S MM design. You can get a bargain on a new one at Music Direct in Chicago (the Aurum Beta S sells for $405.00 less 10% if purchased in March 2001).