info about 1970's leslie stereo speakers

I resently purchased a pair of Leslie plus 2 model 450 speakers. They are from the early 1970's. I'm am searching for info about them, such as what they may have sold for new, can they be used as a two speaker system. I have learn that they were sold to be use as an addition to a stereo system to create 4 chan operation. The main speaker has two 50 watt amps built in them and each speaker has some type of a motorized baffle under a 15 inch woofer. Any info appreciated.
mtrcharlie

Showing 1 response by bob_bundus

the Leslie speaker is for electronic organs. At a relatively low power of 50 watts per, you apparently have some residential home type units.
The motorized spinning horn produces a doppler shift which sounds much like a warble tremelo effect, effectively raising and lowering the radiated fundamental frequency at a rate determined by the foot pedal controller (a part of the organ itself) which controls the motor speed. The Leslie effect is not applied constantly; it is turned on at specified times within a composition according to the musical score.
You may be able to resell them to a musical instrument shop or like minded website. As for any home audio use, I wouldn't know why anyone would want to do that as it seems an unlikely application. However I hardly claim to know everything; I could just be mistaken in ignorance. Might be some fun to play around with for special effects in a home theater setup. However again, I wouldn't think that you would want this effect to be on at all times.