Inexpensive tube amp

I'm looking for an inexpensive but yet decent quality tube amp to pair with my new Zu Omen bookshelf speakers. I've noticed that there are a lot of integrated amps out there, but I would rather and Stand alone amp to pair with my existing Preamp. The preamp is a modified Acurus unit from back in the day. However if I cannot find an inexpensive amp an integrated unit might be okay. My budget will be between 300 and $400 new or used. The source will be an old pioneer turntable. Nothing special just an inexpensive analog front end to listen to music in my small room.
last_lemming

Showing 4 responses by zd542

"I'm using an Vincet hybrid amp now and I have an old mf100 Conrad Johnson I can try as well."

Have you gotten any gain related noise with any of the electronics that you have already tried?
"zd542- I'm not sure what you mean by "gain" issues. "

Gain related noise. When you have very efficient speakers, like the ones you have, its very easy to get some noise coming from your speakers. It's kind of like a hissing sound.

As an example, I have a pair of Wilson Cubs in one of my systems. Source is a Wadia CD player going directly into a VAC 30/30. The Wadia has a volume control, but it also has dip switches internally that you can use to change the global volume. So if I have the overall gain on my Wadia too high, I get noise. When I lower the overall gain, the noise goes away. What this means for you is that you really need to try components in your system before you commit to a purchase.
That's the problem of buying tubes just for the sake of buying tubes. The sound varies quite a bit, just like with SS. If I had to guess, the issues you are having sound more like preamp, than amp related problems. Given your budget, I would try a passive preamp with your CJ. You're far more likely to get better results.
"Especially since any good interconnect will cost as much as the amp. The trick will be to find one that's inexpensive and works."

There's an easier way to do this. If you are looking at cables that cost as much as your amp, a better strategy would be to buy an amp that's twice as expensive and just use cheap cables.