Incoming ... Joseph Audio Pulsars

WHOOPEE!!!!! Today, I parted finally with my beloved B&W N804s in favor of a pair of JA Pulsars in the Sapele Finish. Using temporarily a pair of Target stands until the Sound Anchors come in. I only have a couple of hours on these speakers, but they image like crazy and the sound is exquisite and non-fatiguing. They are much better suited to my 10x10x8 room than the B&Ws. Will post a more in-depth review after they’re broken in a bit more. This has been SOME St. Patty’s Day!
rlb61
Since there are no Joseph Audio dealers anywhere near me, I figured that the only way to see how good they were in my music room was to buy a pair and see how they are!  If the Focal's sound better -- and I have not pre-judged this -- then the Pulsars will go back up for sale and I will stop lusting after them.  If not, the Focal's will go up for sale or move into the HT system!  I'm lucky to have the flexibility!
As reported towards the end of this Stereophile show report there is a newly updated version from Joseph Audio called the Pulsar 2, which has been upgraded with a new SEAS Excel woofer featuring a graphene-coated cone.
As far as I can tell, the new SEAS cone is still cast-magnesium (like in the original Pulsar), but is now "coated" with graphene. Not sure that this is a night and day difference; however, the fact that they are using the same base material (i.e., magnesium) with a mere coating of graphene leads me to believe that any sonic improvement may be slight. I wonder if existing Pulsars can be upgraded to the new woofer and, if so, whether it would be worth it. See www.audioxpress.com/news/seas-announces-new-excel-graphene-woofer-series

Cone material not the only upgrade.

From the latest Soundstage report on the new Pulsar 2:
"Updated from the old is a new 5.5” midrange-woofer, which has a layer of graphene added to the magnesium-based midrange-woofer cone. But that’s not all. Joseph told me that the driver’s entire motor system and suspension have also been improved, all for much better bass and midrange performance. "

BTW: Apparently in the past, when he has upgraded a speaker, Jeff Joseph has offered those upgrades to existing owners.

moto man,
I hear you.
I scratched my Harbeth itch by grabbing a used pair.  They were great but didn't sway me from what I already owned so I sold them.