Improve Bryston B100-SST and Totem Model 1 Sig

Hi,

I need advises to improve my 6 months old system: Bryston B100-SST, Totem Model One signature, Shanling CDS-100MkII, Kimber cable 8TC, Audioquest King cobra.

The sound is good but only with good recording Cds (Diana Krall, Patricia Barber or recent Steely Dan) but most of times dry and cold with bad CDs (70s).

Should I:

1. Change my Bryston for something warmer and more emotional, if so, which are your recommendations.(Plinius, Unico…)
2. Change my CD player for a let’s say Rega Appolo for a warmer sound.
3. 1 and 2.

I’ve listened a combo at my friend’s home: CJ CAV50, Totem Model One signature, Rega Planet. It’s incredible, hard to believe a 45wpc can make the Totems sings like heaven, unfortunally, the CAV50 are discontinued and I can’t afford higher CJ models.

My budget for a new amp: 2500$ US

I’ve tried Moon I-3 and Totem Arro (my old speakers) at store in Montreal and feel the sound a bit bright, salesman said because the Arro were not broken. Also have tried Totem Model one signature with Rega Cursa/Maia and Marantz CDP (don’t remember the model) at another store; the sound is very, very good, wonder if the combo Rega Cursa/Maia can beat my B100-SST ?

My room: 18X16
Music listened: Pop, Rock, Jazz , Blues, no classic.

Thanks
Ricki
ricki

Showing 1 response by testsystems

You might try for $200 a Musical Fidelity tube buffer to warm up the sound or even a tube based CD player. The amp and speakers are fine, it is the source that is poor.

Drew