importance of phono cartridge

Is a cartridge more important to total system sonics than a turntable/tonearm, will a $1600 TT/tonearm with a high end cartridge sound better than a $5000 TT/tonearm with a average cartridge
dsremer
Dear Sirspeedy: Do you already receive my e-mails? If not here it is mine: [email protected]

I appreciate that you sen me a test e-mail with " regards ", for I can contact with you.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul,I responded to you on a thread,here.I got a virus in my home computer and must use my work units,which is hard,as they are always in use,for business!!I thought your E mail was a very nice gesture,and hope to answer soon.Best wishes.
a 40 dollar grado black will sound its best there. a shure m97xe will and so will an AT440ML. once the cost of the table is no longer making you reel, and your finances are coming back into shape, consider the high end cartridge that interests you.

the following is my system:

http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/588.html

as you see, the mmt is my arm. i have no qualms about upgrading to nearly ANY level of cartridge, but finances will limit me to perhaps an ortofon Kontrapunkt b, but i wouldnt hesitate to aim much higher.

yeah, a fixed headshell would likely improve things ultimately BUT not from an ergonomic angle. PLUS i dearly love to swap cartridges at will.
I think a debate between Tommy_in_sylmar and Rauliruegas would be really entertaining.
:-)