import duty sending used gear from Canada to USA

Duty calculator .com stated no duty applied to used gear purchased in Canada and shipped to USA. I purchased used gear from someone in Canada and having it shipped. The unit was manufactured in South Korea.

Has anyone had recent fees charged to a similar purchase? What is the safest, most efficient and least likely to be assessed duty or other fees?

Thank you.
ketcham

Showing 1 response by zd542

You have to be really careful. I forget what the rules are because its been so long since I've bought or sold anything from Canada. But the reason I stopped in the first place was due to all this confusion with duty fees. Not only that, people try and trick you. If you are a buyer, the seller may claim there are no fees only to find out there are, and if you want the item, you have to pay. Once you pay someone, they don't really care because they already have the money.

Another bad experience I had was with Classe. I had a warranty issue and it had to go back to Canada for repair. Instead of sending the unit directly to Classe in Canada, they had me ship it to someone in upstate NY who put in their car and drove it in to Canada. That was OK. The problem was when they shipped it back to me. It was help up for over 3 months some place in Canada. When I finely got it back, the box was all torn up and had bright red stickers all over it.

I'm not saying something like this is definitely going to happen to you, but just be careful. For all I know, I could have been at fault somehow and just didn't know what I was doing.