If your whole system costs $40,000....

how much will you invest in CD player with that sum?

I have been wondering my CD section is the weakest link, its around 10% of my system cost. I wonder people who are using some $10k players how much their whole system costs roughly...... Anyone can share their experience in upgrading their CD players?
grandetech

Showing 4 responses by foster_9

I almost have 2 systems. If you're looking at retail

Amp retail 5000
other amp retail 2900
Speaker retail 7500
Preamp retail 7500
Other Preamp retail 1100
regenerator retail 2500
sub retail 1400
sub retail 1200
sub retail 1200
cdp retail w/ upgrade 6000
cdp retail 1200
cdp retail 400
cables retail 2200

Total retail 40,100

There you go.
Grandtech, guys here could have given you a break since you seem to speak English as a second language and were simply trying to conduct an impromptu survey on spending habits. But guys in the audio forums love to blast and bash. The nature of the hobby I'm afraid. I should say some guys.
To the naysayers, I say audio is supposed to be fun and for recreation/ enjoyment of music. This is a message board about all things audio. Some guys, I won't name any names, some guys are just mean-spirtited, nasty, and take themselves and these subjects way too serious. Lighten up! We audio enthusiasts and philes make up a very very small group of people in society! To most people we are are looked at as crazy for what we invest in this gear.
Hi Map,

Yes, still with the Mirage OMD-28. The thing that made the difference was changing to a solid state preamp, new balanced interconnects (tried several -amp to preamp) and magnet wire speaker cables and interconnect (not anticables). These changes brought in more bass, fullness, and clarity. I've been pursuing all three. I won't say my system sound has arrived. I'm still tweaking. Finally found some cables that made an appreciable difference.