if you had my system and $2,000 budgeted for an upgrade, where would you spend it?

This post may go a bit beyond analog, as it could encompass other parts of the system, but I am not interested in adding to the digital side of things, so here it is.

As far as I can tell, it seems like the places to spend that $2K would be on a better tonearm or perhaps a preamplifier upgrade.  I may be able to sell my Audio Research LS-25 and upgrade to ARC Ref 3.  As for the tonearm, I could sell the RB202 and get a Michell Tecnoarm, or step it up to an arm for about $1600 (are the Clearaudio arms nice?) and still have a little left over.

Can a tonearm upgrade make a significant sonic improvement?

I am not dying to spend money on an upgrade, and if the benefit of that $2K will be minuscule, I am happy to stay as I am for a while, my system sounds excellent.  But I am curious to know what the experienced people on this site would do the the $2K if they were in my shoes.

Where is the most improvement possible?
Thanks!
Mark

System Gear List:

Amplifier:  Audio Research VT-100 mkII
Preamplifier:  Audio Research LS-25
Phono Stage:  Whest Audio PS.30R
Cartridge:  Lyra Delos
Table:  Michell Engineering Tecnodec with standard RB202 tonearm
DAC:  PS Audio PerfectWave DAC mkII
Power Conditioner:  Shunyata Research Talos
Speakers:  Rockport Technologies Mira Monitors
Subwoofer:  Wisdom Audio SCS
Speaker Cable:  Cardas Audio Cross
Interconnect:  Cardas Audio 300B Microtwin XLR
Digital Music Storage & Player:  Apple Mac Mini + ROON + Hard Drive
Power Cables:  Shunyata Research Venom HC (amp, sub, conditioner)
Power Cables:  Shunyata Research Sidewinder VTX (sources)

My system can be seen here:  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5421
marktomaras

Showing 1 response by alpha_gt

A nice looking outfit you have there. And honest, if it's not doing anything wrong, if nothing is eating at you, I'd say leave it alone. Your analog front end is nice, and yes a tone arm can make sonic improvements. Or maybe just sonic differences? There again, unless there is something about the playback that is bothering you, I wouldn't throw money at it hoping for a surprise. If you were hoping for a Graham or Tri-Planier, I might get more excited about it. But that's some real money there! And may be too much for the 'table. 

If if I were you, I'd spend the money on several new albums and some imported beer! Both are guaranteed to make your system sound better!