If you could, what live performances would you enjoy re-living?

I have interest in hearing about yours.   I can think of some great concerts over the years in many great buildings, from Hancher in Iowa City, to Fisher Hall in New York, to some bars in Copenhagen. 

Something I have noticed....performers have times they are more "on" just like us, and it can make their concerts be perceived at different levels.   I know the three times I saw Jackson Browne, each was much different and most of that was his intent.  Having a good sized group with very talented back up singers to the time I saw him solo....all great, but very different.  He is a better guitar player than he may be given credit for. 

The live Jazz I have been to in NYC is near the top.  Sweet Basil and the Blue Note through the years have been very good to me, but in a much different vein, the lakefront festivals in Milwaukee are a somewhat unknown to most of America. 

I did see a few artists before their success and fame, saw a famous British singer at a bar in Rapid City many years ago..and he has done well since. 

Take care,

whatjd
Lucinda Williams and Gurf Morlix at Maxwell's in Hoboken. Two guitars, 20 people in the audience. Remember it like it was yesterday. Whiskeytown at Mercury Lounge in 1997. Just making a name for themselves. Put on a great show. Easy to see Ryan Adam's talent and where it would take him musically. Lindsay String Quartet at Richardson Auditorium in Princeton. They used to do a free afternoon concert series back in the day. Tremendous acoustics and architectural space. Close your eyes and melt away. Also saw St. Lawrence String Quartet at the Frick Museum. Really intimate venue with great acoustics. Patty Griffin touring her debut album at the Turning Point in Piermont NY. Just her and her guitar belting out the entire album for about 30 people.
I am 65 years old and live in Vancouver, Canada.
There are a lot of concerts I would love to revisit, but these few would be magical.
Elton John’s first tour in April 1971 playing the Agrodome. A stripped down stage show before all the flamboyance.

Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon Tour September 30, 1972 in the PNE Gardens. The Gardens was the perfect venue for concerts with a capacity of perhaps 1,500.
Bruce Springsteen’s first visit to Vancouver on June 26, 1978 for the Darkness Tour. 3 1/2 hours of the Bruce and the Band is still the gold standard for me.

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers first tour when he played the Commodore Ballroom on June 15, 1978. The Ballroom is a large bar with a spring-loaded dance floor that suited Tom to a tee.
Based upon great musicians in uniquely wonderful performances:

1.  Louie Armstrong and the All Stars, Michigan Theater, Lansing, 1951 or 2, I was very young and still amazed my parents took me!

2.  Miles Davis Quartet with Coltrane, Minor Key, Detroit, 1961.

3.  Mahavishnu Orchestra, Funky Quarters, San Diego, c. 1972.

4.  Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Del Mar Fairgrounds, Del Mar, 1986.

5.  Mendelssohn Octet, Mostly Mozart Festival Balboa Park, San Diego, 1990.

There have been many other great concerts of course.  But these, other than Armstrong, stand out because the musicians seemed to be in a special groove for these performances, they were electric!  Louie was exceptional since that was my first concert, he was dad's favorite musician, and I still remember is as an outstanding experience.
It’s been a while since I thought of the commodore that place is a good time seen lots of shows there.  Always a little nervous about the border crossing.  If I remember right there are tires under the floor it made people dance that weren’t dancing
1ST: Either in ’72 or ’76 (foggy date memory), King Dome Seattle Wa.
The Eagles, Linda Rhonstadt, Jackson Brown, Dan Fogelberg, and
Andrew Gold ( and others)
They had personnel with video cameras, and were projecting scenes, from the musicians playing on stage and crowd views, onto A GIANT (at that time v) TV Screen in the arena.
A GREAT MUSICAL EVENT!!!

A CLOSE 2ND: Almost any Harry Chaplin concert anywhere:
Saw him at Nassau Community College on LI with his brother and several support musicians, somewhere else (can’t remember where) with a small orchestra, at the Univ of Idaho with two other musicians, and one time solo. ALSO: I was one of the several hundred who attended his immensely creative, unfortunately unsuccessful Broadway play " The Night that Made America Famous"
He was always captivating and personally engaging - a True Bard and Troubadour - I cried when he died ( and his generosity lives on in the LI Food Bank that he founded, named in his honor)...

3RD: The Band - Nassau Coliseum, NY.
Their music was so precise - true live showing off their immense talents. I'D SWEAR THEY SOUNDED JUST LIKE THEIR RECORDS!!!