If you could bring back one great artist that has

departed our world who would it be? We have lost some incredibly talented artists, often under tragic circumstances. If it were possible to have an encore I would vote for Janis Joplin. You?
puerto

Showing 4 responses by baka1969

@ Mapman Pink Floyd isn't exactly uplifting but there's no denying their place in rock. I do believe, however that both Janis' and Cobain's music would have grown and somewhat matured as time went by. Especially Cobain's. I believe he had a way of writing music, songs and lyrics that showed honest raw emotion and wasn't nearly as contrived as some happy-go-lucky pop tune or the formulated teen angst tune so popular today. Just as Miles and Sachmo redefined the music of their time so did Kurt.

Janis is another one. I think she helped define women's ability to sing about topics that went beyond mindless bubble gum and was one of the pioneers of the bad-a$$ rocker chick with soulful music. Plus that voice. Who wouldn't have wanted to hear more of that?
@mapman. For bad or worse their pain helped their talent. Listen to Clapton, Dylan or Floyd. You can tell by their songs and the different times or stages in their lives. Even Miles Davis. Picaso. There are many artists that use their personal tragedies as a canvas for the art they make. That's the soul that speaks to the individual appreciating what they've crafted. It's why most of us devote our time and effort into this hobby. It's not all peaches and bubble gum out there. Thank goodness because the art they create is pretty special.
@mapman. I'd like to believe if Cobain had still been around his music would have evolved. I can't necessarily say the same about Janis but I just loved her voice. Speaking of the 27 Club members, I wonder how Morrison would have progressed? Did The Rolling Stones of the same era ever really grow up? lol