If there was only ONE album/cd/release you can listen to, over and over.............

Your " best ever " recording, which has likely been discussed ad nauseam, would you select, say, if given a choice of only one ( whatever the scenario would be; stranded on an island, locked up in isolation, all music gone, but this one ). As hard as this is, as there are so many to choose from, I have selected " A Tribute To Jack Johnson ", by the esteemed Miles Davis ( 1992 Columbia version ). I have selected this, specifically for the performances, as I do with all of my listening. The playing.....the musicianship.....the arrangement.....the story, set to music, by the esteemed M.D.. And, my system delivers the message, so I feel proud of my set up. What can I say ? I hope everyone well, and, ENJOY ! Always, MrD.

mrdecibel

Tool - Fear

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

Steely Dan - Gaucho 

Any of those three, only on Saturday nights, after I master distilling my own coconut liquor. 

I could never, no matter how much I tried or how much time I had, narrow my choice for one "best album". The thought of doing so can't even enter my mind.

First of all, I listen to 3 main genres, each has several subgenres. There are quite a few (to say the least) masterpieces in each genre and subgenre that I feel are equal in artistic, emotional, and intellectual content, to many pieces in the sane genre, and  other genres and subgenres.

The 3 genres I listen to are:

Jazz, which includes: post bop, fusion, chamber jazz, M-Base, avant-garde.

Prog, which includes: Canterbury, classic prog, Zeuhl, avan-prog, prog-metal.

Classical, which includes: avant-garde, serial, atonal, dissonant, spectralism, mostly from the post 1950's. The 'thorny' sounding stuff.😎  

The best I could ever hope to do, would be to pick, say 10 from each genre, and even that wouldn't cover it. So, prepare for a major cheat!

Here goes:

Prog:
Yes - Close to the Edge
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
PFM - Per un Amico
Thinking Plague - The History of Madness
Magma - K.A.
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic
Anglagard - Hybris
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Banco - Io Sono Nato Libero
National Health - Of Queues and Cures