If Money Were No Object... A Fantasy Question

Let's say you're filthy stinking rich and had $1,000,000+ to spend on an audio system. What would you do, assemble a single SOTA system or for the same amount of money put together multiple very high quality (and certainly not cheap) non-SOTA systems.

This fantasy is in the either/or format. Points will be deducted for thoses who answer "both".
128x128onhwy61

Showing 1 response by radioman390

Mint604 writes
"Aroc: I bought one of your tonearms on E-Bay 3 years ago. It was a 16" Shure Dynetic with built in cartridge(the worlds first stereo magnetic cartridge circa 1957). Since (IMHO)it is still the best tonearm AND cartridge ever made I'll mount that onto the Walker and thro out the Walker arm."

I'm surprised a cult hasn't developed around this arm/cartridge combo. I have two of these arms, including one with the original factory packaging which includes a transparent plastic cover for display purposes.

The original arm came with a mono cartridge and was called the STUDIO DYNETIC. When it was upgraded to stereo it became the STEREO DYNETIC arm and cartridge. I remember sending it back to Shure for new cabling.

Shure's own website has barely a mention of these arms, which was designed to play 16" ET's (33 rpm LPs for radio programs). I even have the original mono M-1 cartridge in its transit case (uses the N-1 stylus) which plugs into the same socket at the end of the arm, like the M-21. The M-1 were custom made, and again in very limited quantities (I'm told only 50 to 75 total). But it was the first quality tone arm of the LP era that could track at 1 gram. The vertical shaft to which the arm was attached rode on a ruby bearing. It is truly a futuristic design and looks modern even today 50 years later.

Less than a thousand M-216 arms were made, and I'm told they were designed by Raymond Loewy who also designed the futuristic "bullet train" locomotive of the 40s, and also is credited with the design of Leisurama Homes, a planned community in Montauk, NY. You might also remember the Nixon-Krushchev "kitchen debate" in Moscow, which took place in a Leisurama home built at the world's fair. Loewy also designed a few Packard automobile models.

I am looking for a Shure N-1 stylus, BTW.
One final note: if you use the stereo catridge be sure that the stylus replacement is the N-21D original Shure with the very fine tubular stylus shank which tracks at 1 gram. Almost every marketer of stylii says the replacement for the n21 is the same as the M-3 replacement. NO! The N-3 stylus (which is not tubular, but a "V" shape, is designed to track at 3 grams, which the M-216 (and the shorter M-212 can't handle).