If I could afford, I’d purchase 100% Oswald Mills Audio gear

This even without hearing it. The pieces are so beautiful I don’t see how they could not sound fabulous. The Sp10s look like they are built like a tank. I’d even buy their equipment racks. Maybe someday or maybe I’ll purchase something from their sister company Fleetwood sound. 
aberyclark

Showing 6 responses by daveyf

Their turnable in the new issue of Stereophile is $360K!! How this price comes even close to equating to this piece of gear totally baffles me! 
Hmm, I have a choice to make here, i buy the OMA table at $360K or..I buy the Basis Transcendence at about a third the price...and IMO the Basis not only with give the new OMA a hell of a run for its money, but also probably beat the pants off it...tough choice, I guess??
@lewm You make a very good point about the OMA being dismissed because it costs $360K! If the table was priced at say $20K or less, i would also question how many folks would still dismiss it? OTOH, the price asked is more than likely going to be unjustifiable to all but those with very deep pockets, and maybe even those folk will still dismiss it based on the competition. The question I have with a lot of this gear, and one that fails to ever really get answered, is why price something like the OMA K3 at only $360K, why not price it at $3.6M or more?? After all, the same buyer is going to be interested......and the rest will still have the same opinion.
@mikelavigne You fall into the category of discriminating buyer who dismisses this table based on the ability of the competition. I question as to how many of these manufacturer’s really know who or what the competition is?...and more importantly how it performs. For example, I would acquire the Basis Transcendence in a heart beat before I would consider the new OMA K3....and at a fraction of the price! The Basis holds on to the notes (the recreation of sustain, which BTW has to be on the LP in the first place, and in many cases simply is not) in a far superior manner to any table I have ever heard...including my previous reference for this..the Clearaudio Statement.
I agree with you 100%, performance is the only arbiter to judge these tables by, not aesthetics....although it doesn’t hurt to have both.
Agree. The fact that there are still folks willing to try and push the SOTA in high end vinyl is definitely something to be applauded. With the stand that goes along with the OMA, most designers will have an easier job integrating the package into the summer house. 
The question in my mind is where on the scale of importance is exact speed control vs. other issues that a turntable has to address. For example, does the ability to deal with spurious sonic energy matter more, or less? Certainly all parameters matter, particularly when you are taking such small signals and the ability to reproduce same, but what is the order of significance?
This seems to be something that turntable designers have yet to come to full agreement on.
OTOH, the cost to address some of these issues seems to be greater with ultra precise speed control than some of the other variables. Do we agree on that, and more importantly, do we agree that this is where the money should be spent firstly?