Ideas for separates around $1500???

Hi all,

Sorry for the slightly confused post...

Trying to get a new amp for our living room and our current piece is just not working out ( Exposure 2010S -- too much RFI around our house -- just listed it here on Audiogon).

If I go integrated, we am interested in trying the Naim Nait 5i, but after reading this months TAS, I am intrigued by their match-up of the Odyssey Khartago and the Vincent SA-31. Combined, these are around the same price as the Nait, and will give me a touch of tubes, which I like, without the heat of the a full tube amplifier (infants and lots of exposed tubes didn't agree with each other)

What does the collective think? Any other ideas?
martyw

Showing 8 responses by martyw

Sorry -- speakers are Quad 21l2. Room is around 12 by 25. but l shaped with a dining room off one end. Source is music hall cdp 25.2
There is only one place in our house for our stereo -- against two windows and under a bunch of power lines. Not to mention radio transmitters nearby. I tried a few things, changing interconnects, speaker wire, etc.. and it is just not a good fit -- I need something with a different build I guess. Plus I would rather spend time searching for a new speaker than go down a rathole of power conditioners, RFI tweaks, etc....

Thanks for the ideas. Out of curiosity though, aren't some amps better/worse than others for dealing with RFI, independent of how good they are as an amplifier? It is a great stereophile class A amp, but for whatever reason, it is just picking up RFI when my Jolida tube amp didn't?
Hi Cmalak,

Maybe it isn't, but I just got fed up with tinkering. Plus, and maybe this is the bigger issue really, I missed the sound of my tube amp. Thus I don't have the incentive to keep swapping things in and out if I'm not 100% happy with the sound anyway. Plus it is a class-A, well reviewed amp, that I will (hopefully) be able to sell here without losing any money.

Reason for thinking about separates is that I can try a tube pre-amp and a solid state power amp. I used to have a full tube amp (Jolida 302) but given than we have an infant, the exposed tubes seemed like a bad idea.

That is how I got to the idea of the Odyssey Khartago and the Vincent pre-amp combo as mentioned in the TAS this month.
Thanks -- I solved the RFI, btw -- it was the solid core DMN cables -- bizarre. Still selling it though, I miss the tubes.

Forgive me -- "fully balanced and/or with low input senstivity" is somewhat greek to me. What does that mean? What kind of equipment should I be considering?