Ideal TT & Arm for the following top cartridges...

Koetsu RS Platinum
Van Den Hul Colibri XGW
Miyabi/47 Labs
Allaerts MC2 Finish

So the search is on. I agree with a colleague's comment that although it is convenient for AB'ing cartridges, my VPI extended Aries (ver. 1, no flywheel, no SDS) with a 12.6 bearing assembly and JMW 12.5 and two 12.6 armwands does not fully show the potential of these cartridges. Certainly I can upgrade to the Aries 3 and add the flywheel and SDS or step up to the TNT line, but considering the performance level of these cartirdges, I do not want to overlook something else.

The Allaerts is enroute so I cannot comment on it yet. But I really like the RSP and Miyabi (the RSP being more refined overall) vs. the VDH for now. It could be a loading issue (now at 250 Ohms) but the VDH, although fast, transparent, detailed and dimensional, it is also lean and uninvolving (I hear the VDH platinum option can address this).

So I would appreciate your recommendations on a TT and Arm combo in the $5k-10k range as used/demo demo pieces that are capable of showcasing the performance potential of these fine cartridges. Feel free to make a single recommendation (arm or TT only) or synergistic combination.

The rest of the system includes the Ear 88pb phono stage, a modded Electron Images MCP-1 and trying a friend's Whest PS 2.0 for kicks (a Wavestream Kinetics phonostage is coming), Bent TX103 step up as needed, First Sound Paramount Mk II pre, Dehavilland Aries 845G monoblocks (NOS tubed), highly modded Coincident Milleniums.

TIA & best regards!
ctm_cra

Showing 4 responses by sirspeedy70680e509

Ctm_cra,You clearly know alot more than you let on!!

You might want to consider buying a used Audio Research Phono stage,for a fairly low cost,and having a reputable "modifier" like Great Norther Sound,give it a significant facelift.They mod many lines,btw!Both I,and my friend had our older units completely rebuilt,a couple of years ago.INCREDIBLE results!!!Steve Huntley(the owner)does absolutely amazing work.I have never seen any manufacturer/or modder pay the attention to detail,that he does.

I know this may seem like like I'm going a bit over the top,but they work on a ton of tubed designs,turning them to "gold".It wouldn't hurt to take a look at their website.You may be able to get what you want,for less dough!

Raul,you are way off base in thinking everything has to be gone over(in the system chain)to be able to identify whether something is "sounding good"!Are you implying that when I swapped out some NOS phono tubes,for a better sounding set,that it is unclear to ascertain the reason for improvement?Or a cartridge change,or arm,or amp,etc!
I hope I misunderstood you!

Best!
Raul,I think you may have missed my point.Nobody,at this hobby, for any real length of time,will dispute the significance of the phonostage.That being said,the beginning of this particular thread clearly asks about arm/table/cartridge matching.That seems to be where this particular poster wants to spend his money.
My contention is (and I completely agree with you about the phonostage)that anyone in the "emotional" buying stage,for the arm/table/cart is concerned with those choices,and usually(most often)does not want to start analyzing a different "playback" concern,like another "box",in the fashion of the phonostage.
It is here where a close association with a good dealer would normally come into play,yet today the vast majority of purchases are made on the "net"(nothing wrong there,btw),so that "personal involvement in the system",by the dealer, is diminished.
This is why I stated that the commonality so much of us share,is the "buy and sell"(until we actually learn something)syndrome.
WELL,those fortunate enough to read,and maybe ponder some of the stuff discussed in forums like this one,can possibly save some time,and money,by thinking about the kinds of stuff "The Great Irigues" speaks to!!

How's that one!

Best!!
BTW--Though I'm not sure this was mentioned,and it is probably widely known anyway,there is quite a chasm(love that word)between some of the cartridge weights,mentioned.This will definitely require careful arm consideration,regarding effective mass.There is quite a disparity between the Colibri and Koetsu you mention.They will most likely require different arms,unless you source one with different arm-tubes.Each with a different mass.BTW-In the price area you mentioned,the Oracle,and SME-10 are fine products with good field records.I hope my comments have not mirrored what may have already been stated,as I haven't read all posts.

Also,as for the seemingly negative Brinkman statements,all I can say is DRATS.I kinda liked them.I have never really heard the products,but to me they had a really magnificent appearance,regarding integrity of build,and design.This usually means fine performance,but I've already shown how little I actually know.Just read some of my older posts!
Raul,of course you are correct regarding the phonostage.The potential problem that exists,is that there are really very few real audio dealers anymore.Many folks get their info on the internet,and that is where many buy from as well.I really don't think there are too many hobbyists overtly concerned with the "phonostage" match,because the subject just doesn't come up that much,as many sellers simply assume the buyer knows this information already!Hence,the usual "hot cartridges of choice" are sold.Of course the syndrome takes on another light,when some time later,the new owner is not totally happy with their sound,not really knowing the actual reason why,and the merry-go-round of buying and selling continues.Then we wake up,years later,after dropping a load of dough on "audio stuff",and begin to understand what really are the important factors in putting together a fine system.Call it an initiation fee,I suppose.

I know NO person who has not gone through this.Myself included! Best!