I Was Considering Active, Then I Watched This ...

high-amp

Showing 2 responses by jon_5912

People fixating on whether the amp is internal or external are emphasizing the wrong thing.  I'm sure there are a lot of cheap active speakers that aren't very reliable but that's because they're a cheaply made throwaway items.  You can get active speakers with external amplifiers.  If you want ATCs with external amps you can order them that way.  They just stick the amp in a separate box, no big deal.  Both ways are compromised with different strengths and weaknesses.  There are great examples of both and terrible examples of both and personal preference obviously comes into play.  The stuff people get hung up on.

When I hear people say that dsp can take room problems out of the equation I have to say something.  It can certainly help, but a really reverberant room isn't going to be solved by dsp.  An empty plaster room with wood floors in a brick house is going to have problems and dsp can't solve them.  It can ameliorate them to some degree but there's no way speakers can stop the echo.
The passive only crowd is heavy on condescension and light on knowledge or understanding.  Almost everybody is looking for the best they can afford.  Sure, there are people who don't care about the difference between $300 and 3 million but I doubt any of them hang around here. 

If you care so much about the difference between amps why not care about the difference between passive and active.  There are some distinctive, irrefutable advantages.  Learn to appreciate the advantages that active designs provide and decide whether you prefer those advantages to the ones of passive.  What would be a good list of advantages of active?

1.  amps chosen to suit the driver.  No need to spend more for an amp that can drive anything.

2.  No lossy passive crossover feeding multiple drivers that wastes amplifier power and creates much more complex load than an amp in an active design will ever see.  Far less total amplifier power required.

3.  Active crossovers can deal with phase better than passive ones.  (I don't understand the technical explanation but I assume it's true)

4.  Don't have to deal with active crossover heating up and changing behavior.

What are the advantages of passive?

1.  Can choose amplification that suites your taste.

I'm sure there are others...