I sell vacuum tubes. Buyer that owns an Audio Resarch VT1200 claims I sent him a bad tube

A buyer sent me a message saying that one of the EH 6922 tubes I sold to him was damaged (the driver tube) and that the bias circuit needs repair which will cost $500. The quick research I’ve done is that these amps are unreliable and that this can happen often.

Do you think I should be held responsible or is it the equipment that is not well designed and I shouldn’t be held accountable. Just want to hear your opinions on the matter.

Thanks.
tonaltubes

Showing 1 response by rodman99999

First thing to do is have them return the tube(s), so you can confirm it was yours and test it(them). It’s been my experience that ARC often uses resistors as fuses in their B+ circuits. I suppose, if one were to include shipping and a rapacious repair fee(such as ARC might charge), the costs could be ridiculous. Somehow, there would have to be a short in the plates of a 6922, to damage an amp’s B+ circuitry. If you found a tube that you sold to be defective(in that manner), you’d have to let your conscience be your guide. Did you sell the tubes with any kind of warranty, express or implied? There’s no way to know whether his amp may have damaged by the tubes he had in it previously, other than asking why those were replaced. Then, you’d have to believe/trust the buyer. If you’re referring to the VT200: It’s conceivable that the amp was damaged by the buyer trying to run 6H30s, in one designed for 6922s and they’re trying to bag you(just a thought).