I need help with a Dual 1219 that rumbles?

I am just about at the end of my rope with this 1219. Its been to fix my Dual twice with no result. If I run the test record system noise cut(side two track 6) it makes a lot of noise (I can here it loud and clear in quit parts of the music). I have the 1219 on saw horses with no plinth and if I move the idler off the spindle of the motor while it is running my test record, viola the noise is gone. The motor mount looks good ( no cracks etc.) It obviously does not isolate the motor well enough. Anybody run in to this kind of problem? By the way the motor was exchanged so I do not think it is a bearing. Any suggestions for fixing this problem? Is this actually the way they sounded? No way with 1/2 million sold, thanks Markus
markus1

Showing 3 responses by markus1

I believe the noise comes from the motor, idler wheel assembly as it disappears when I disengage the idler wheel. I think this eliminates the bearing and associated platter assembly, I have replaced the idler wheel itself but not the idler wheel spindle. I like the idea of having a fully automatic tt. Are there new ones worth owning? thanks Markus
Thanks for all the good info. Very interesting idea about the platter bearing being loaded with the idler wheel. There is a slight oscillation in the frequency of the noise. Bill at fix my Dual has had this thing twice. It works perfectly and sounds great but he hasn't been able to eliminate the noise. If I wanted a Rega I would buy one. I will check the article in Tone. I actually have it sitting on the spring suspension on the saw horses. I think the hard rubber thing is probably the problem. It is 38 years old or so. The tt is floating in the plinth. thanks again for all the great input, Markus
Thanks, that sounds encouraging. Maybe I will see the end to this problem. thanks Markus