I need help to select a music streamer

I am so far looking at three music streamers to purchase.
1.  Bluesound
2.  Roon
3.  Bel Canto eOne

So far, I think the Bel Canto to be the best choice.  I wonder what the members of this group would recommend in the $1,500 budget range?  If you recommend a certain brand, I would like to know why it might be a better choice.

I will be streaming this to an ARCAM AVR 550.

Thank you.
128x128larry5729
Evidence is not proof. That’s precisely why one test proves nothing. Preponderance of the evidence requires multiple tests as I be already said at least twice.

I agree with this statement entirely.   All we can say is that these tests have failed to reject the null hypothesis - listeners can't tell the difference between cables/amps/resolutions using only their ears.  The point here is that there have been lots of tests, and they all fail to reject the null hypothesis.  If there were a reasonable volume of tests that could, with reasonable confidence, reject the null hypothesis, I would be, in fact, pleased to accept that as (colloquially) 'proof' of strictly audible differences.

I'm working with the compilation I've linked.  I'd love to include others if readers can bring them to my attention.

ahofer
... these tests have failed to reject the null hypothesis - listeners can’t tell the difference between cables/amps/resolutions using only their ears. The point here is that there have been lots of tests, and they all fail to reject the null hypothesis...
It’s not even remotely true that all tests "fail to reject the null hypothesis."

Perhaps one of the most famous examples is the infamous Carver challenge published in Stereophile. Its entire premise was indeed that the amplifiers sounded different, but that Carver could get his to mimic the sound of the other. He succeeded, but apparently couldn't replicate the results in actual production.
 I think Stereophile's listening  before the Carver match was sighted (ie not only with ears). Only after he matched the amps was some blind testing done.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Carver#Amplifier_modeling
https://www.bobcarvercorp.com/carver-challenge
https://www.stereophile.com/content/carver-challenge-page-2

If I'm right that the pre-matched listening wasn't controlled, this test would only fail to reject the null hypothesis that the *matched* amplifiers were audibly indistinguishable.   It says nothing about strictly audible differences between the *unmatched* amps. An objectivist would probably suggest that Carver had the edge even before he modified his amp.

The null testing Carver employed to match amps has been used to compare expensive and generic cables right out of the box, with generally inaudible results.

But I remain interested in any *ears only* (blind) testing that rejects the null hypothesis.  

I have done a fair amount of reading and I have watched some videos and it seems like a music streamer is merely a device by which data enters the device and is sent to a DAC to convert this data into music impulses.  The way I understand things is to keep the signals timed so they reach your ears at the same time.  They refer to this as smearing and I wonder why they do not label this as a phase related issue?

Based on this understanding it appears the cost difference between units is the clock speed inside the streaming device to keep things in time.  They accomplish this by using more and more expensive processing chips to speed up the streamers ability to keep up with the signals.  What no one has mentioned is would hard wiring a streamer with CAT6 from a 5G modem do to help solve some of these smearing issues and would buying perhaps expensive battery pack digital coax wire added to a Bluesound streamer also help the signals to reach the DAC faster with less resistance and therefore keep the signals in time?  Also, would adding a DBS digital coax wire like a Audioquest Coffee coax cable free up the signals reaching the DAC in my receiver to avoid smearing.  If this would solve most of the problem, I could get by with a total all in cost of about $1,000 using a Bluesound Node 2i streamer.  If there is anything I have learned over the past three years is the Law of Diminishing Returns.  Spend an additional $1,000 to get 1% increased sound quality and spend an additional $1,000 to get yet maybe another 1% increase in sound quality.  I can't imagine a Bluesound is a piece of junk otherwise why would anyone purchase one.  It is capable of streaming 24/192, which I think is another way of labeling MQA.  It must sound better than streaming TIDAL via my Apple TV which is only 16 bit capable.  The Bluesound doesn't have all the bells and whistles.  However, I like the looks of the interface TIDAL provides to display single recordings and albums.  It even provides suggested artists to also listen to.  I personally could care less about spending $1,000 more on a Roon when I am satisfied with the way TIDAL does things.

All I want is to be able to take advantage of the 24 bit and MQA recordings TIDAL offers and be able to do so without breaking the bank.  The biggest factor is keeping me out of the dog house with my wife after she finds out what I have spent to achieve yet another way to improve  sound with my system.  Right now after adding a pair of REL S3 SHO's to my system it sounds incredible.  I just don't want to spend another $2,000 to $2,500 at this time.  At the same time, I also don't want to be disappointed if I buy the Bluesound and Audioquest Coffee DBS digital coax cable.  This I call the I should have, could have, syndrome. 

I am sure I will hear some interesting comments.  However, keep in mind there are some of us who do not have unlimited resources and have a wife who endorses spending more and more on a system.  To them a boom box would suffice.     
Larry i don't know if by now you made a purchase   Dac & streaming set up  this guy on you tube AKA  OCD Audio guy  knows his stuff  check it out thank you good luck GEL