I need help, my system died

My system is only dead emotionally, it still works. Three weeks ago my system was sounding amazing, one of the best i have ever heard. In an attempt to make it even better i tried out some 8 foot cables that are supposed to be better than my current pair. I usually use 20 ft cables and hence i had to move a lot of my equipment to make them fit. Afterwards, i went on vacation and turned off all of my equipment for a week. I also unplugged all of my power cords and brought them with me to try them on my friends system. Its been two weeks since i've been back and my system has easily had enough time to rebreak in as it is always kept powered up. Now, however, although there have been no component changes my system sounds terrible. Well it sounds the same superficially but it seems like all of the warmth, realism and depth have been sucked out of it, while all the detail remains. Does anyone have any idea what could have happened? My system is no longer enjoyable to listen to as it lacks emotion and the rich textures it used to have. Any ideas as to what could have caused this and how to fix it?
lordgorian

Showing 1 response by tok20000

1st Ask yourself how the system sounded with the other cables you were demoing before...

Sometimes when you hear something that is better it puts your system sound in a different perspective. If this is not the case....

2nd What did you do over vacation? Did you goto many live shows? Did you attend any live concerts? There have been times in my life where I would go see a live event, and I was unable to listen to my system for several days because in contrast it could no compete to the wonderful live music I have heard. If this is not the case....

3rd Maybe your musical/hearing tastes are changing? There have been times that I have gotten to a point with my system and thought it seriously needed a change. If you do not think this is the case....

I personally think you need to move to something other than Satori speaker cables. Especially 20' of it. It is the serious weak link in your system right now and does not live up to your other components.

The other area which I think you can use some upgrading is AC cords. We can discuss this offline. I know an AC cord you would be very very interested in.

Your other issue could be your BMI Shark cord. That cord requires a freakin long time to break in (as you know), and I think if unhooked for an extended period of time, it may need just as long to break in again (maybe something to do with the Platinum).

Drop me an email or IM.

KF