I need a turntable, only have $450 to spare...

More than likely used. I haven't had a turntable since when I was in Germany in 1989 when I had a Denon 37F but I still have my 392 count vinyl collection. I've searched and read plenty of things but they were always with a larger budget. My budget will grow (hopefully!) in the future but I need something to get me along now as I plugged my Teac X-1000r over the weekend and it reminded me how good analog sounds.
My noisemaker goes as follows: CEC 3300R cd player, tube DAC-68, Adcom GFP-750 preamp, 2 Adcom 545 amps biamped to a pair of Wharfedale diamond 9.6 speakers, Dayton interconnects and homebrew power cables. In anticipation to my future TT purchase I got a Bellari VP-130, new but open box. With my current equipment and what I have to spend I'm not expecting a masterpiece BUT I don't want a $99 piece of junk either, just something that I can play for a while and be happy. I understand it may need to have the belt replaced, cartridge. Musically I'm all over the map but mostly Jazz (Monk, Marsalis, Coltrane) and Brit Wave (Joy Division, OMD, Smiths). Where should I start?
mtandrews

Showing 3 responses by jb0194

If one thinks all direct drives are noisy, they've not heard a well-maintained Dual 701/721 w/EDS1000 motor...

Actually, they'd "not" hear it!
If considering Dual tables, contact Bill Neumann in Des Moines. Google "fixmydual". He almost certainly has fully refubished 1200 series tables well within your budget. I recently traded in a 704 for a 701, and he may have that one still around.
With any vintage table, if you're not knowledgeable to do so yourself, I'd advise buying one that has been competently refurbished or budget to send the one you buy to such a shop. For Pioneer tables, "BC Electronics" in PA can do the work. Others may add shops they recommend for specific makes.
The newer entry level Rega/Music Hall, etc. tables shouldn't need this, so it comes down to personal choice. I like vintage, fully auto tables and top line vintage mm carts, but that's me.
Is the cartridge a Shure V15 Type III LM? That was the stock cart for many of the 700 series tables, and a good one. I have an JICO "SAS" replacement stylus for that cartridge that I played only once, as I preferred my tried and true Pickering XSV5000 with MUCH costlier stylus.

Email me if your table has the V15 Type III and if interested in the best replacement stylus made (Google "JICO SAS", aka Super Analog Stylus, a specially shaped diamond).

The Dual 721 tonearm wires terminate at the headshell as pins into which the cartridge holder slides to make a connection. I own both the 721 and 701 (which uses the identical headshell system) and don't intend to mess with the tonearm wiring. That said, your RCA cables may originate from RCA jacks beside the motor, and all you need do is connect new ones. More likely, they emerge as slip-on tab connectors from tabs on a plate to which the tonearm wires are soldered - even better! In that case, buy the phono cables you like plus a pair of "crimp barrel" gold plated tab connectors from Madisound of the proper size for the tabs. Cut off RCA plugs from one end of your phono cables, strip the insulation, crimp the exposed wires into the tab "barrels", slip on to the tabs and you've got upgraded cables!
I've done this and found it simple and effective.
If you like the 721 sound as much as I do, invest $95 in one of Bill Neumann's custom wooden bases. Prop the feet of the wooden base atop some resonance control thingys (the rubber/cork/rubber squares from Meniscus Audio are the cheapest I know of) and you're just about at budget.

If it were me, a nice, used Bottlehead Seduction would be the next "cost-effective" upgrade, but $300 or so ain't chump change.

Upgraded mat would probably come next (lots of options), but we're far enough down the road already... :))

If your 721 has been competently refurbished, I'll bet you decide it's a keeper.