I need a fitting/appropriate tonearm for my Teres 340

I have a Teres 340 with an Origin Live Illustrious 3 tonearm. This was to be a "temporary" arm til I could do better.  But hey, It sounds pretty darn good. Though it sounds good as is, I think the TT deserves a better arm than the OL Illustrious. Maybe I'm being snobbish. Wifey says it sounds great. Leave it alone. But My heart says the Teres needs a better mate I have a Benz Ebony L cartridge. I've consideried the OL Conquerer which is a step up.  But It has no azimuth adjustment. The Reed is an interesting arm which has my attention. The  2 P has azimuth adj. But the 2 A doesn't. There are several Reeds on the market. Would rather have the 3 series. But the 2 is a stretch at this point. Any reed owners that would recommend it over others in the price range? Is the Reed a good match for the Teres 340. Unfortunately I have a limited budget and these seem to be withing the budget. I've seen a few SME V but I'm not sure they are a right fit.. Haven't seen a TriPlanar in some time. Still not sure its the right fit either. Then there is the Pete Riggle arm which may be good but the looks are not that good IMO.. Thoughts?
128x128artemus_5
I'm watching this thread with interest.
 Report this
Yeah, I left the door wide open didn't I?  I should have asked if azimuth adjustment is that important? I've heard Jay @Audio Revelation say that there is a way to adjust azimuth on the OL arms. One thing I like about the OL is their simplicity. Set it & forget it. I guess they are all that way AFTER you get them set. Its tempting to jump on the Pete Riggle arm. But I really don't like the looks that much and am afraid that my TT being massive cocobolo with the arm being totally different wood will look awful
You might also look @ a less expensive Schroder (not certain what the 2 goes for now, but it used to be around $2K).

DeKay
Gosh dekay. Its been a long time since I've seen you around. I didn't think Schroeder  had but one design but I'll check it out. I know Teres highly recommended the Schroeder. But used ones rarely come up for sale and the new ones are general out of my price range. I love wood (which is among the  reasons for the Teres) and it makes me wonder about the Reed arm which uses wooded arm tubes I'd be pushing the budget to get the 2P which has adjustable azimuth. Then too, is that important? I missed a great deal on a OL Conquerer. I've been very satisfied with the Illustrious , yet wonder how much more is available up the OL line
Hey:

I usually only post smart aleck comments anymore, unless I feel that I can help out.

Just Googled the Schroeder arm(s) and sorry for hanging that "carrot" in front of you.

DeKay

Terminator T3Pro linear tracking TA. Vic uses his own Salvation direct rim drive motor. Terminator will fit your Teres just fine. Easy set up and a Sera aquarium pump gives low pressure air flow and is very silent (mine is in a wood box behind a large record cabinet in the same room and is not audible).
I should expand on my interest...

I'm kind of in the same boat. I've got a Teres table (cocobolo base, solid acrylic platter, Verus motor) and I'm currently using an OL Silver (mk II, I believe) arm. It would be easy to stay in the OL family, but candidly, I'm not thrilled with OL in general. Like you, I find the Reed arms interesting, but haven't read many first-hand testimonials on the 2 or 3-series (I'm also partial to the 3P or 3Q). I've thought about contacting Chris @ Teres about his tonearm and VTA adapter, but I'm not anxious to pull the trigger and, from a cost standpoint, I may want to stick to the 2nd-hand market. 
Wntmute & Harold, I remember when that arm 1st came out. Reviews were quite favorable. I considered one for a scoutmaster. But I don't think I could ever come to like it on my TT because it would be such a clash of design, etc.. Tables which have a more industrial look may compliment it. I may have to read some recent reviews. Who knows, maybe I can get a wood grain kit and make the arm look like wood. That would be trick
Funny, I think the juxtaposition of the wood table and polished aluminum arm with wire gantry would be way cool!  But then I like the steam punk look.
nrenter, Does Chris still make the tonearms? I emailed him a few months ago when I had a slight problem and he was helpful in getting it resolved.  Bearing just needed an oil change. He said he was still in business but to a much smaller scale. There is really nothing on his site. Did you get the Versus motor from him prior to his closing down shop? Or have him make the motor as a custom Item after? It is the rim drive isn't it?

The only problem I have with the OL arms is their lack of adjustment. The Illustrious sounds good. It was speculated that this was the best bang per buck arm for OL. But there is a lot of good reviews on all of them. I remember when Teres had a list of recommended arms for their TT's. OL was on the list. Schroeder and Triplanar. But not SME IIRC. Again, the Pete Riggle arm is interesting and has all the adjustments one could want. He might even be able to make one out of cocobolo or ebony or something which would match the table. Western red cedar is the wood of choice because of the best specs according to Pete. Reed agrees. Here's an article from Reed.
http://www.reed.lt/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58:wood-vs-the-rest-testing-...

Dear @artemus_5 : OL tonearm are good tonearms and in reality you are not dissapointed from it. Maybe makes more sense to do a change for a different cartridge. I like BM but inside its line are better models and out side there are several alternatives that can gives you a better system quality performance using the same OL tonearm.

You can put on sale your cartridge and changing it will be a real up-grade in your system.

Well, a change in cartridge is always a good alternative against a tonearm, especially because you are " satisfied " with.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
Interesting concept Raul. I know you are much more experienced with tonearms and cartridges than I am. I think I am satisfied with the cartridge and have felt the weak spot to be the arm...IF there is a weak spot.
I did see a Zyx Airy 1000 G with SB which may be in my price range. Will it outshine the Benz? IIUC, the Ebony L is only bested by the Ebony LPs. Maybe I'm wrong. Then I know the Zyx are very well thought of. I haven't checked the used section. Sometimes there are good buys there. Thanks
I own a zyx airy 1000 on a conqueror mk 2 arm. Arthur Salvatore said that the zyx is very sensitive to VTA and VTF. I USE A VTAF from Pete Riggle , vta on the wind,and it is very useful when you listen to a modern flimsy record and then a speakers corner one.
I own a zyx airy 1000 on a conqueror mk 2 arm. Arthur Salvatore said that the zyx is very sensitive to VTA and VTF. I USE A VTAF from Pete Riggle , vta on the wind,and it is very useful when you listen to a modern flimsy record and then a speakers corner one.
Giles. Concerning the VTA setting, Do you know if he was referring to the whole line of Zyx or just the Universe which I believe he owned & reviewed?
FWIW, the only thing which has stopped me from getting the Riggle  VTA adjuster is that I'd need to make my hole 1/4" larger. The arm board is cocobolo. Though I am a woodworker, making it bigger will be a chore I suspect. But I can see the beauty of the 
If I remember well the sensitive vat concerns zyx airy 2 and 3, at that time he has not revised the universe.
With the last origin live model I do not know if it is possible to install the VTAF.. 
Dougdeacon may answer for the vat for zyx. His reviews are on audiogon.
Well, I took Rauls advice and bought a ZYX 4D G SB. Lets see what changes are brought about. My Benz Ebony L is a good cartridge. However, one reviewer replaced his Ebony L with the 4D. We'll see. I've been wanting a Zyx.

OK, I mounted the ZYX 4D G SB low output cartridge to my arm on Tuesday. First impression. WOW!!. The dynamics were off the chart. Actually a little too much. But, the cartridge hadn't had time to settle. Even so, the separation of instruments was extraordinary as was the fullness of sound. Some might call this air but it extended to the entire presentation rather than just the individual instruments alone.

The next night brought the dynamics down to a more manageable level. Still very good but not extreme like before. The rest of the good qualities remained pretty much the same. On 1st listen I had thought the bass response was about the same as my Benz Ebony L. However the Zyx has a deeper and fuller bass. What was good bass before now has that guttural sound...similar to shaking the floor but clean and distinct. I keep coming to the word "fullness" to express the biggest attribute of the ZYX 4D. All the instruments  are heard with all the nuances but with a full sound unlike I have heard before. It easily fills the room which is quite large in volume. Better still, my wife really likes it. That always makes life easier.
I choose the zyx after reading the comments from A Salvatore on his blog and don't regret this.
At first I follow his list of pre amplifier ,choose the doge 8 , then the lenco turntable,and  was enthousiast. The other parts of my system are different from his recommended components as I have very inefficient apogee loudspeakers.

I am very pleased with the Zyx. And my system sounds better than ever. My tonearm is a good one. However it doesn't have VTA on the fly and no azimuth adjustment which is normal for Origin Live. I haven't tried other arms and would love to hear the difference. Yet I wonder if I'm opening a can of worms by VTA on the fly. Lets face it. Vinyl is work enough without getting into  adjusting the tonearm height for each record. I'm reminded of the equalizer I added to my system years ago. I couldn't enjoy the music for adjusting the equalizer. I don't want to get caught up into a similar experience. However, the Reed tonearm (2P) looks really inviting