I'm never going to hear a megaspeaker in a good room am I?

Was thinking about something. There’s a thread about good $40K speakers which made me think that honestly despite hearing a lot of them at shows, I’ve never heard one in a decent environment. Now, perhaps we can argue:

If it doesn’t sound good anywhere, including a hotel room, is it really that good a speaker?

But let’s not go that route. But I am thinking to myself, in well treated rooms the best speakers I’ve heard were merely mid-range Wilsons and Magicos. I say "merely" because they were under $40k, not because of performance. The two best speakers I’ve heard, in medicore rooms were the SF Stradivari and Snell A/III, and top of the line Vandersteen.

All the $40K + speakers I’ve heard have been at shows, and either very badly treated rooms, or in halls so big the first reflection point was like a mountain echo. Am I ever going to get to listen to $40K+ speakers in great rooms anywhere again??

As a result, I’ve developed a severe bias against the performance of mega speakers, because I only ever hear them in terrible rooms and have not heard one I’d spend money for, and honestly that's unfair to them.

erik_squires

Showing 6 responses by tomic601

so much so that the 11 band EQ centers are not octave based but are centered on typical residential room modes....

some thinking....went into that....
Eric - did you settle on where ? There is super excellent Vandy dealers in Atlanta and Verona NJ. Best ever sound I have heard out of the MBL in a sleepy University town in SC...

IF you want to improve your DIY consider cabinet wothin a cabinet w constrained layer damping between the cabinets.

ignore the Troll, he cant , Kant get no satisfaction....well i guess Trolls plural....maybe they are brothers ?
and just as happy to provide you with trickle down technology in the $1,400 a pair 1 ci, made here in Marica, in California no less....ha

since 1977
to be fair you can get pretty close with the $30 K Quattro CT and that includes the M5 amp, perfectly designed for the load....ponder that “ unfair advantage “.....
Eric get the to Seattle post covid and you can hear the 7 mk 2 and the 7 high pass amplifiers in a decently treated room. There is, alas a window...but the view can be mesmerizing....

and yes, Helmut Brinkmann and Richard Vandersteen get excellent sound at the Munich show. NOT an accident.

enjoy your quest !!!