I'm happy but I want more, more, more

My system is a Clearaudio Performance SE table, Clearaudio Stradivari cartridge, ARC PH5, Conrad Johnson et3 se pre, and a Classe CA-2200 amp running a pair of Thiel 3.6. Speaker cables are Cardas Golden Cross and interconnects are Cardas Clear Refection. Now, to upgrade the pre to a Conrad Johnson ACT 2 series 2 or an ARC Ref 3 will cost me about $3500-4000 CAD, as will an upgrade to a ARC PH-8 phonostage. Any opinions regarding which upgrade, pre or phonostage, will yield the greatest jump in performance are appreciated. BTW, no talk about upgrading speakers and leaving Thiel as that costs real money and countless therapy sessions.
bill10907
If you wish to read more HFC publish the SFAS link on their website under "Reviews". 

BTW Bill, another reason I’m less than enamoured with the Clearaudio is their main bearings. They tend to be either the "air-ceramic" type or the magnetic one (which I think you have??). If I’m not mistaken both of these offer a compliance which enables the platter to behave differently from the tonearm i.e. the platter can "bounce" whilst the tonearm does not. I’ve heard quite a few Clearaudio tables so my views are also based on listening experience.

For more discussion on this there was(!) a useful discussion about separate arm pods in the "hot topics" header. ;^)

Thanks for all your time spent offering your ideas. I purposely didn't state what I was looking for for three reasons: I wanted opinions regarding my system's shortcomings; I don't like to limit responses when I'm not sure what question I should be asking (I am a former journalist and I know if you ask a well-defined question, you'll get a well-defined answer, but you may miss the story altogether); and I love the sound of my system and I really just want better, even though I am always in sound heaven.
1. I now have some room treatments up. A great improvement.
2. Is audiophilia a rich person's game? Yes and no. If you buy used and purchase components from the big brands, the resale value stays pretty static and you MAY only incur the cost of lost "interest" if you had otherwise invested the money. Buying new or obscure brands is very likely a different scenario, but I haven't done that so I'm not sure.
3. As stated in my second post, I am focusing on upgrading the phonostage first. Having a table and cartridge worth over $6,000 and stage worth $2,000 (new prices) does not make much sense.
4. As I play my music at blaring levels and my thiels reach down to 20Hz, I'm less sure that a sub trumps the gain from a better phonostage. That said, I will get a sub in the near future, just not a used sub worth $300. In my experience, bass is cheap, but tight bass is far more expensive than top-end clarity. I'll be looking for a Thiel sub or the like.
 5. Rauliruegas: Your questions were not "rocket science," but if they were I'd understand them as I am 55-year-old tech editor who always reads carefully.
6. Moonglum. I like my cartridge and my tomearm is a Satisfy, which holds its own on far more expensive Clearaudio tables. I'm not sure how to pose this question, but do you think I would gain more from just a tonearm upgrade or just a table upgrade?
7. Atmasphere, along with my stereo-as-equity position, I started out with a Grado gold, Rega P3, and a NAD PP2, and I was in heaven. It's just that heaven gets better and better as I upgrade. But before I upgrade I've never believed that I was not already in heaven :-)
Thanks again guys, I really appreciate these responses.
Bill

Dear @bill10907 :  """   I'm less sure that a sub trumps the gain from a better phonostage... """

it's normal that you think that way because you can't understand all the information I send through that subwoofer link because you never heard exactly what is explained in the link.

You are speaking of 4K for a change in your system, well a pair of subs designed by the subs experts as Velodyne can make the job better than almost any other and for that money.

Anyway, every " move " in your system is up tp you and is you whom must be satisfied with not us.

regards and enjoy the music,
R.

Hi Bill,

I have a friend who uses the Satisfy arm on an LP12 and is delighted with it. (They say suspended tables and unipivots do not make the best stablemates but try telling that to all the Naim ARO users ;^)

It bears repeating that IMV there is an imbalance in the distribution of cost within the T/T in favour of the cartridge. The item which defines the sound of your analogue system most is the most fundamental one i.e. the chassis/motor unit. As has been suggested already in many threads on the forum, even a modest MM cartridge mounted on a superior platform will sound disproportionately good. The old-established concept is that a good turntable even with modest ancillaries and bookshelf speakers will sound coherently musical. This “source first” approach has been the matra of a certain hi-fi company for several decades and it is a view I still consider true even though I no longer use their turntables.

To a degree, even more fundamental is the platform that the T/T sits on and its location and relationship to the room & speakers. (e.g. although the natural choice of location for a T/T is the corner where it might be safer, the best place is half-way along a side wall. Just for the record I’ve broken this “rule” myself on more than one occasion and am currently doing so :). The moral is that even the best T/T won’t work properly if you site it on the wrong support structure (although some are more tolerant than others).

It isn’t my intention to disregard the influence of the tonearm. The Satisfy is a fine tonearm. I’m not sure I’d be in too much of a hurry to change that except to get something that could be more easily and accurately fine-tuned (e.g. azimuth – not that you can’t adjust it on the Satisfy just that it may be slightly inconvenient) but it must be said investing sensibly here can also reap audible benefits. In the final analysis it is your own opinion that counts and demo-ing alternatives is a first step.

The reason I haven’t suggested any particular alternatives is because I’m not selling anything.

Just to illustrate the scale of what you are dealing with, I was hooking up a printer to my laptop the other day. As the printer was powering itself up I was holding the other end of the interconnect cable between thumb and forefinger, ready to plug it in to the laptop. Every single bit of vibration, gantry movement and hum from the printer could be clearly felt, via the connector on the other end of a 4ft long (skinny) connector cable.

I would have thought such a cable would filter it. If it did, the effect was minimal… :(

(Sound transmits most efficiently through solid objects, even cables )

All the best,