I Just Inherited 4,000 LPs

My longtime friend just passed away, leaving me his 4,000 LPs. 

I haven't had time to really look, I know there is a ton of jazz. He lived in New Orleans for many years, we went to the music festival together twice, listened together here often over the years. The LP's are only 5 minutes from here.

And serious wood library shelving, each self-contained 3 ft wood shelf has a partial back and recessed metal tracks for adjustable metal dividers. They can be put individually on top of any shelf, I will leave the too tall uprights, put the shelves into new wire shelving.

Our house is a small split level with an internal garage full of 42 years of junk as well as our existing 2,500 LPs.

OMG, what a project to rearrange, discard long dusty stuff, (Donna’s 100% on board) assemble new wire shelving to condense stuff we keep and new wire shelving to fit the LPs here.

Then: how to merge them with my 2,500 LPs which are alphabetical. Logistical Options keep me up at night.

Twenty 3 ft shelves, I will use 3 bankers boxes per shelf to get them off the shelves, leave 60 boxes over there, get the shelves over here on the wire shelving, finally the LPs over here. I believe his are generally alphabetical, perhaps Donna and her twin sister Effie can find what's out of order over there while I am working here.

A labor of love, and a lifetime memory and gratitude to my friend Roderick.

Elliott

elliottbnewcombjr
With Good Quality Clean Vinyl, your friend who kindly thought of you.
Indirectly offered you the opportunity to try out at least Four Cartridges, while you audition the gifted collection.
Elliott.

I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you find great joy in going through your friend's record collection.
4000 albums, that's 111 days of music. That's a lot at 20 minutes per side. 
Did I forget to mention we drank some beer together?  I have one of his favorite beer glasses, DUFF BEER, I think of him every day.

My son should plan for all this music when he does an addition. And a nicer listening space for those JSE Infinite Slope Model 2's I already gave him.

It's not just the LPs. Some may remember, I quit smoking and spent all my tobacco money on music, starting at $700./year 32 years ago, I gave myself a rise in pay each year, whatever a carton a week adds up to, now over $4,000. NJ is thinking of a big hike

https://fortune.com/2020/02/25/new-jersey-cigarette-prices/

The CD era, over 3,000 of them. I bought leather binders from Herrington's, extra deep pages that fit both the disc and booklet,8 per page; tossed the cases, got em down to three 3 ft shelves, also alphabetical, I left spaces and can simply add pages. I'm done buying CD's unless ......

Part of that tobacco money was spent on Teac R2R decks and 500 pre-recorded reel to reel tapes (already sold about 150 of them).

I need to find a way to sell without cleaning and testing, perhaps simply sell ones with with no obvious damage, refund to anyone unhappy. So far, sold 150 tapes, 50 lps: less than half a dozen mishaps I gave refunds for (mostly USPO destruction).
fuzztone

The random few I viewed the other day looked like they were played only once. I'll know more tomorrow.

pindac

that is interesting, thanks for pointing that out, I'll pay more attention to cartridge discussions. I better start keeping a log, my memory sucks.

reubent

He had many difficult years, taking care of his wife with Parkinson's; his own health issues, the last few a great deal of pain combined with lack of mobility. He had moved down to his sister's house in FL, so we only spoke on the phone and email. Just no way to live after you retire.
russ69

Funny, my brother once counted my CD's, LP's, Tapes, and came up with some similar calculation. 
Have fun. Sorry your friend passed. I bought the collection of a friend whose wife/widow kept them in an air conditioned room dedicated to LP storage for 14 or 15 years after he died. She had attempted a few times to sell them and I finally said, "why don't I just buy them?" I paid her well, partly b/c it was a sentimental thing in memory of my friend, with whom I spent many hours listening-- he was the pulse of the NY Audio Society or whatever it was called back in the day. When the movers finally brought everything up to the floor where my hi-fi and records were (I had a lot of space then), I was overwhelmed. 
I wound up hiring a cabinet maker carpenter to build shelves in a number of different areas. I also wound up having a sort of uncompiled area that filled a walk in closet that I would dip into to find stuff. It kept me going for a few years, just finding things--probably a few more records than the 4,000 you just inherited, but still- that's a lot of vinyl! And heavy too. 

Enjoy the process. And be careful of your back---
Elliottbnewcombjr, I know nothing about you, but if your true self is reflected in these short posts, I would be honored to know you.  
I read through everyone's comments and contrasted inheriting so much music to a big wad of cash.  While most of us could really use a few extra dollars the music is so much more exciting.  A real treasure trove. Take your time and enjoy it.  A lot of really good people on here.

Mark
So lucky. My high is when a Discogs parcel of overpriced LPs arrives after three weeks with USPS.
We continue others in different ways, and this is a good way. It will also make your memory of friendship more alive and immediate.
Life force is forever.

rpeluso and  annika

Thank you for your comments, I hope to continue earning your respect.

When travel resumes, I'm only one hour outside NYC, if in the area, you could come here, or perhaps we could meet here:

https://www.turntablelab.com/pages/our-stores
Well I've known Elliott long enough that I know he will get good use out of these records. I talked to him last week and when he told me about this all I could think of is how much room it will take. My first suggestion was to make room in your garage. LOL It will be a huge task but in the end it will be worth it. Lots of keepers I'm sure and a lot to sell off and I'm sure more than a few pleasant "discoverys" hiding in that collection.
When he told me about his friend and his career I wished I had had a chance to get to know him, sounds like he was an interesting fellow.
So Elliott, any luck finding some young bucks to help move all this stuff yet?

BillWojo
Sorry to hear about your friend. He was definitely a great one if he left you those gifts, the most precious thing in life is music!
Elliott: 

Like others have said, it would be an honor to know you based on what you've shared here.

Best wishes and condolences on the loss of your friend, and clearly no one better to gift a lifetime of dedicated record collecting to, than you.
ebanksms

You are right, wads of enjoyment and wads of memories.

I was already selling some of my LP's, a typical listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133640465798

on the right side, click 'see other items'.

primarily to make room because I thought I was done buying, had my nephew with strong back and knees alphabetize them; then couldn't help myself, now perhaps 100 extra LPs leaning on the shelves that are full. I have some I never played, given to me by friends when they dumped their vinyl. Some not my taste anyway.

Damn nephew moved to San Fran, I could use him now!

I started at $2.99, let the market decide. Many went single bidder, $2.99. I figured out the combo of Paypal and eBay fees, on $2.99 I was clearing $2.31, not wads of cash. I felt I was wasting my non-precious time.

Then, Led Zep sells for $77., Monk for $50. you just never know. I like getting my tapes and LPs to people who want them more than the $. But, considering the work involved, it's hard not to feel foolish?

I raised my starting price to $4.50, to feel a bit better, and got it down to 1 photo. Now I'm only going to sell apparently flawless LP's without cleaning/listening, I hope that goes well.

I'm sure I will find duplicates to sell, and excess of many artists i.e. how many Duke Ellington should I keep?

Made my day Elliott. Thank you for sharing.

I am sure many would not understand the significance of what you inherited (people here will), but your friend passed along his happiness. It's a special gift.

I am sorry for your loss, but think that will be softened by the memories when those records are played.
Elliott,

to be gifted 4000 lps is a testament to your friendship. When I think about how much time it would take to collect and curate, let alone enjoy a collection of that size, he clearly wanted them to go where they would be loved and appreciated as much as he did.

I have a number of objects I’ve collected over the years, cars, bikes, audio gear, cameras, watches. They have value but they mean more to me to give to those who would find joy in them.

so good for you, and make a plan to listen to them.
davehg4

I am emotionally very pleased my friend chose me, I know he did have an idea to give them to Tulane University in New Orleans.

My step-father (the evil one) kept admiring a house with plentiful landscaping and gardens, frequently asking the owner to sell to him. Finally he got it.

After a few years, he said he felt like a slave to the gardens, living someone else's life.

At first I wondered, where will I put them, will I be a slave to all these? Perhaps I should simply cherry pick. Every random pull was a keeper, so it was off to the total rearrangement of the garage, nearly done.

I like to keep one small thing I can hold in my hand of anyone I want to remember. His DUFF Beer glass does that, I better get a spare, he has many.
thanks to everyone expressing condolences. 

I've dealt with some serious loss, it hurts, then comes 'Beautiful Pain', Along with the tears come beautiful memories.

When someone else is in so much pain that you think in a small way 'better off' I always play this song in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIH1KccVlHk
Bill,

I'm waiting for you to have a fight with that girlfriend of yours, then you come spend a few days here. You can act like the teenager we all think we are, and I'll rest my herniated discs, bulges, pinched nerve, small tear.

I'm actually searching for a back surgeon now, thinking, I have to finish this project first!
Elliot

I am not a big jazz fan but if there are some you want to sell just let me know.  We just set up an AR-1 that we had restored these past few months.  If you have any folk that you want to sell email me [email protected].  I can send you a check for your price plus shipping.  I know it is hard when a good friend passes. Made the mistake of not taking the show tunes and musical LPs from my parents home that was just sold off. 
Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Roderick.  I've been going through my 2,000 (ish) album collection and making sure they are all play graded and logged in the Discogs database.  I can't imagine adding another 4,000 to the collection!
elliottbnewcombjr, I would love to meet there, if and when the time comes.  I am in southeastern PA, just about 20 miles northwest of Philadelphia.  
I consider you wait.  and you should consider your weight.  3 banker's boxes full of records can destroy particle board shelving starting with sagging.  I would use nothing less than good quality 3.4" plywood.  Baltic Birch and a similar chinese knock off birch plywood has good structural strength.  I'm using good old 3/4" oak veneer plywood that has developed a sag over the years.  (6 foot long shelves fully loaded.)
bpoletti

thanks for the advice. The existing solid wood shelving was bought from a library, very strong. As I mentioned, each solid wood shelf has a back and recessed metal tracks and metal dividers. I bought strong wire shelving, and those wood shelves will simply sit on the wire shelves.

rpeluso

Somewhere around Norristown? I'm 1-1/2 hours from Norristown, we ought to find a spot in the middle where masked men meet.

I met Bill in Bordentown, we wore masks and went to The Record Collector

http://www.the-record-collector.com/

big_greg

I’ve resisted cataloging all my life,

I’m starting there: pulling/boxing stuff I won’t keep first, then I will have space on each shelf to fix his alphabetical sort there, then box and bring here and merge with mine.

I will keep classical, christmas, show tunes in separate groupings.

Discogs: Selling on eBay, I can’t handle trying to grade mine properly, so I came up with two simple categories:

"Vinyl: either Very Darn Good (no scuffs); or Darn Good (minor inaudible scuffs) None have scratches or skips."

here’s one nobody ever heard of:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WHIRLING-DERVISHES-History-Kicks-You-Vinyl-LP/133638750470

see my general notes and unconditional refund policy.

whart

Did you go to Colony Records, NYC?

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS881US881&sxsrf=ALeKk028mHpTahHBTFr1R9-7g4vn3D6otA:...

One visit I casually mentioned something to one of the owners, he said 'follow me', took me down to a basement level, holy crap, I mean holy crap. He mysteriously found it. Asked me not to reveal the basement trip to others. 

When they closed, he told the NYT he was going to move the collection to his garage. That's either the largest garage, or a large joke on the reporter who printed it verbatim.

Hi Elliott
I don't know you but I know you are loving going through all those LPs and being uplifted by your old friend.

My recommendation is to take your time and wallow in the experience as long as possible.  When my father passed aged 102 I discovered two old diaries I didn't know about, covering his last two years at school, 1926 and 1927.  I limited myself to reading just a few pages a day and the joy lasted nearly a whole year.
elliottbnewcombjr

My condolences for your loss. Your friend thought highly of you with such a gift. Enjoy the Music!

Happy Listening!

clearthinker

Truth be told, he and his wife were hoarders. His sister and daughter are going to discover some treasures IF they take their time as you say.

One of my fondest memories of them was when I suggested they might clear out a better path to the LP's. Ronnie the wife responded "But Roddy needs that stuff". I smile every time I think of it.

jafant

Yesterday, my first real look, I found more than a few Fanwood Library Albums, heavy vinyl covers with index cards, late charge warnings, ...

I thought, did he just pay the fines? If you knew Rod you would know that was a real possibility.

I called his sister, said either the Library had a big sale after CD's took over, or he was a very bad boy.

She laughed, yes, the Library had a big sale and that is also where the Library shelving came from.

A new memory found.
rpeluso

Only 1-1/2 hours straight down 202, passing a lot of great towns.

Do you know any sources of LP's on that route? Maybe avoid New Hope as more than likely too many people there. 

Bordentown, NJ, Record Collector makes it possible for my two friends named Masked Man Bill to join in. Bill from here lives in Burlington, NJ, the other a long time friend living in Bordentown. Bordentown is small, quaint, not too many people out and about.

We are careful, mask, distance, I call and verify how the store is handling things.

What is your general availability. Both Bills work, I'm retired, free as a bird.

jafant

I will miss listening with my friend, he was quite capable or really listening, I have found so many others, non-audiophiles who want to hear my system cannot even go 2 minutes without talking.
I, too, am retired, but do consulting on and off, so not as bird-free as you.  And I do not have knowledge of sources of LPs in the area I am afraid.  
R.I.P. Roderick. Sounds like a most interesting fellow. Glad you got to hear live music with him; also listen to music on your system.

(shout-out to audio buddies everywhere!)
Thanks to my friend David and son Chris, we finished transporting all the lps and shelves here yesterday. Bankers Boxes piled 3 high everywhere.

60 lf of new wire shelves with the wood library shelves with metal dividers on each 3 foot shelf.

To merge our 2,500 with these, a basic alphabetical sort, just to know how many A's, I have to sort them all.

If warm, I would set up folding tables in the driveway, but it is 21 degrees F this am. I have one large countertop 3 ft x 6 ft and the top of the washer and dryer. Perhaps double letter stacks to start: AB; CD; ... pulling non-keepers as I go.

Donna will probably have some good ideas.