I heard the new D'Agostino Progression 800w monoblocks last night

Last night was the 11th Music Matters event at Seattle's Definitive Audio.

Here's a pic of Dan D'Agostino with his monoblocks, and flanked by the very new Wilson Alexx.

Facebook picture of Dan at the event

This was a true premier event. Dan Wilson and Dan D'Agostino were still doing final soldering on their respective units the weekend before this event.

The monoblocks are around 170 lbs ea (IIRC), and make 800/1600/3200/6400 watts into 8/4/2/1 ohm respectively.

This was a new experience for me--to hear audio playback with NO discernible ceiling on power. Completely unfettered dynamic range. Of course, these not only have incredible brute power, but also incredible finesse, with very natural timbres, unfailingly musical presentation, and subterranean bass extension. To my audio memory, they made the $100K Alexx's sound much like the $200K XLFs I heard a few years earlier.

They played music from digital sources and also from LPs played on an AMG turntable. All sounded great. D'Agostino also featured a phono preamp and a great line stage as well. 

johnnyb53

Showing 1 response by herndonb

I have no doubt that the Progression 800W monos were sublime!  D'agostino rules!  
I concur with "goose".  
I continue, over and over (at least six different occasions/systems) to hear that super annoying spike on the top end of Wilson's. I keep thinking it's me, but it happens over and over.