I have problem with my Tenor150 - advices welcome

i am experiencing a random waving little high frequency noise in the tweeter of one of my JBL K2S9800, that i tend to believe, comes from my Tenor 150.
Intensity is variable and noise is not always present (usually not there at start and tend to be less present after 4/5 hours).
It is not a uhm (wich is also slightly present).
It does disappear when amp is in mute mode but remains kick and fitting when the amp is in stand alone mode (with no connection to the pre-amp).
Noise has increased in the last days.
When i change the plug orientation noise is migrating from one channel to the other.
Voltage is a stable 240v (with no ground due to the age of the electrical installation)

Thks beforehands for your insights.

I did not get answers from Tenor to the mails sent in the last two months and i understand they have other priorities at the moment but i would really like to have this problem fixed.
mqg30

Showing 4 responses by fmpnd

It is in the audio board - trust me on this one (and it may have taken out one or more of your tubes). It is not a difficult fix but you will likely need a Tenor tech to help you.
Howie brings up a good point. If ONLY a tube is bad (as opposed to a fuse or resistor in the audio board which took out a tube), then it could explain the intermittent noise and why it gets better over time. Clearly, it is in your amp as that explains why the noise occurs even when the preamp is disengaged and stops when the amp is in mute.

If it IS in the audio board, you will hear a distortion in the treble region especially when acoustic piano music is played.

One thing you could try is to get some spare 12AX7s (the tubes at the front of the amp) and swap them out. These are easy to find cheap tubes. Or you could also buy new 6H30s and/or the other tube (I think it is a 6N6P) and replace them all. If it is NOT the tubes, at least you now have a spare set.

It may be worth a try.
Thanks Mqg30. Glad to help. I talked to Stephan (the main tech at Tenor) last night and I can assure you, they will help get you going again. Stephan is a class act, a staight shooter and all around good guy.

Although I can understand somewhat what the other posters are talking about, the simple matter is that MANY of the high-end manufacturers are smaller niche companies that, if you REALLY had access to their financial picture, you'd realize that we take big risks almost every time we buy high end audio gear. Sure, "caveat emptor" or buyer beware should apply to a certain extent and we should keep our eyes open to the risk of these smaller companies going under (which is inherent in the beast)! But hell, do we really know how stable any company is that we buy products from? Just ask the former 401(k) holders at Enron!!

My point? VERY few of the high end audio companies out there are what most of us would consider extremely stable.

That said, I am glad I am not surrounded by some of these posters as friends since their level of "compassion" is so darn high!! ;-)
Paul,
I wish Tenor was 30 miles from my home. Ya know, what we really need to do is put this all in perspective. Not for a second do I think ANYONE should ever feel sorry for me (or almost any of us on this forum) because my multi-kilobuck component went down and the company is outta business!! I always say that if the worst thing in life is that I crunched my $4000 NEEDLE (a/k/a cartridge for the more sophisticated among us) or that my $3000 power cable broke, boy, life must be TOUGH!!!

We in this country have SO much, so many choices, so much excess and when I sit back every night listening to a system the level of which most people in the world will NEVER hear, I have to have gratitude on a daily basis for what I have. I have to remind myself that friends, family and relationships are the REAL thread of life and that music compliments, it doesn't define, that life. As such, when I get my spoiled, self-centered undies in a bunch with the "poor me" "my Tenor is broke" attitude, I have to sit back and make fun of myself and get that perspective back.

So, no, I was not happy when my Tenor went down (after they were out of business), but such is life. That said, however, I can still empathize with the original poster when he lays out his hard earned money for a statement product with high expectations and those expectations are dashed right out of the blocks with what appears to be no solution! The good news here is that there WILL be a happy ending!

OK, nuf said, no more Mr. Philosopher, I am off to the stereo room!!!! (gee, I ain't spoiled am I?) CIAO!!!!!