I have a pair of B&W 801 Matrix 2. One of the crossovers burnt out. What am I to do?

Since I purchased these speakers I became disabled and live on $ 1000 a month.  I need an inexpensive fix.  Or are they just expensive junk.  This incident broke my heart.  Do I just quit?  My music is a huge part of my life.  What can I do?
128x128gearyb
Hi Geary,

B&W has a great reputation for support and making diagrams available.  I would take your questions over to the multi way speaker forum at diyaudio where youll get knowledgeable help troubleshooting and fixing them.

Best,

Erik
Hi Geary,

B&W has a great reputation for support and making diagrams available.  I would take your questions over to the multi way speaker forum at diyaudio where youll get knowledgeable help troubleshooting and fixing them.

Best,

Erik
I know you are upset but when you post please include details.  what the symptoms are you and what troubleshooting you have done.  It will help those who try to help you get the right answer.

Erik
And Geray, buck up! Speakers go bad and get repaired all the time. Save the tears for when you loose your hearing. ;)  This is just a little malfunction. 
To get an inexpensive fix, you should get to the crossover board or diagram, find the blown sucker and change it.
Sometimes crossovers are protected by large resistor that can show the damage or burning signs.
It may very well be a tweeter not the crossover. My brother had those speakers and the tweeter went out. Replacements for his were quite expensive, like $800 a pair.
Plenty of good advice thus far.  I hope you find a reasonably priced and easy fix.  

Also would help to see your system listed so we can know and admire what kind of ungodly current you've been feeding those 801's to fry the crossover/tweeter, etc. Must have been a rager of a party!

gearyb... where do you live?  I also doubt that it is the crossover.  If needed, can you pull both crossovers.  In your circumstance,  I would give you the labor to repair these at N/C,  you'll need to supply shipping and parts.  I would need both crossovers to keep matched pairs on any parts changes to ensure matched sound quality.....

But again,  I doubt that it is the crossover. 

1st.  reverse the speaker cables from the left and right speakers and make sure that you don't have a channel out in the amp.  If the amp is good, then:

1) is the entire speaker dead?

2) if not, which driver is not working?

3) If the whole speaker is dead, I would recommend that you access, 1 individual speaker and touch your speaker cable to the single driver... i.e bass, mid or tweeter and play it at very low volume.  If the individual speaker plays and your amp does not have a channel out, then yes, we are heading toward a bad crossover. 

All of this needs to be checked before we go any further. 

Tim

The first thing to do is find out what the actual problem is in order to fix it.  You might have to seek a pro that can check out the problem and provide suggestions.  Your solution might be to get a pair of used something or others or hear through earphones.  Good luck.

Stingreen,

I am asking the questions to narrow down what the problem is.  If he can't do what is needed to narrow things down, then yes,  he may need a local pro. 

Tim