I have a pair of B&W 801 Matrix 2. One of the crossovers burnt out. What am I to do?

Since I purchased these speakers I became disabled and live on $ 1000 a month.  I need an inexpensive fix.  Or are they just expensive junk.  This incident broke my heart.  Do I just quit?  My music is a huge part of my life.  What can I do?
128x128gearyb

Showing 2 responses by timlub

gearyb... where do you live?  I also doubt that it is the crossover.  If needed, can you pull both crossovers.  In your circumstance,  I would give you the labor to repair these at N/C,  you'll need to supply shipping and parts.  I would need both crossovers to keep matched pairs on any parts changes to ensure matched sound quality.....

But again,  I doubt that it is the crossover. 

1st.  reverse the speaker cables from the left and right speakers and make sure that you don't have a channel out in the amp.  If the amp is good, then:

1) is the entire speaker dead?

2) if not, which driver is not working?

3) If the whole speaker is dead, I would recommend that you access, 1 individual speaker and touch your speaker cable to the single driver... i.e bass, mid or tweeter and play it at very low volume.  If the individual speaker plays and your amp does not have a channel out, then yes, we are heading toward a bad crossover. 

All of this needs to be checked before we go any further. 

Tim

Stingreen,

I am asking the questions to narrow down what the problem is.  If he can't do what is needed to narrow things down, then yes,  he may need a local pro. 

Tim