I Have 100K for Speakers?

I saw a post today that caught my eye. New to the hobby and is looking t0 spend 50-100k for speakers. At that point is how far are we into "return on investment". There has to be a point where the $$ spent has no relation to the sound you get. I'm just questioning the point as to when does this get kind of silly..No?
zigonht

Showing 1 response by french_fries

in the interest of really getting what you want, which requires alot of thought before you even begin, turn the question around a bit- "i want speakers that sound as realistic as the current technology allows on any/all types of music". then you have to choose the type you prefer of course- planar, dynamic, point-source, omnidirectional, HORNS, etc. THEN couple this with the capability to auto-calibrate to any room. certain JBL professional monitors already have an active microphone system built in which constantly feeds back information from the listening position and adjusts the frequency-response curve to achieve a flat response. AND/OR you could add into the criteria that they have to sound great in "an "XYZ" type of room (i.e. size, shape, ability to redecorate the room or not, etc).
after you narrow the field down using the criteria you prefer, the speakers you want might end up being the new MBL reference ($200k) or maggie 20.1's (1/20th as much), quads or ultra-refined horns, etc. OR, you could just pay a talented designer to come over, look at the room, and then build them to order.