I found audio nirvana....

Being an audiophile is no longer sensible for me.

There was a time long ago…when former audiophiles (like almost everyone else in the world) could enjoy music on a pair of computer speakers. Audiophiles today would say that most people who listen to music on a less than ideal audio system could be served much better by a high-end system, however the average person would beg to differ….

I’ve found what I think is the best pair of computer speakers for simply enjoying the music. I have done some research on human attention span – we can only pay attention to 4-5 things at once. Sacrificing our attention at the alter of a high-end audio system and obsessing about how wonderful it sounds; along with over-analyzing the sound quality of sum of all parts is quite exhausting. 

Enter the Logitech Z130. They look nice, clear midrange, somewhat recessed bass, slightly forward treble. And no real imaging or soundstage to speak of! They are so small!  All you get is clarity in the midrange and treble, with a hint of bass like a side order of veggies. Speech, like vocals and instrumentals are intelligible enough to discern lyrics; except for those that are somewhat hidden in a track; and require a more resolving system. The Z130 give the impression that they are small speakers; except for when the volume is turned up a little more. Then they sound kind of like tiny bookshelf speakers.

I just bought these after our IT guy brought them to my office (for a Microsoft Teams call). I also tested with music on my phone and found myself singing along as the music plays! No longer do I criticize how the music sounds on the system. I am not listening to audio equipment anymore. I’m simply hearing my music and enjoying it. I am now doing what 95% plus of the population does with music…they consume it as a form of entertainment. They don’t care how close they get to the authentic performance; because they realize that such a task is taxing on the wallet, brain, and our overall sanity. Perhaps “perfection” in audio does not exist.

Crazy as this might sound – try the following experiment: 

Convert your CD quality files to 320 kbps .mp3s using a high quality .mp3 convertor. If not, you can play audio files from a DAP, a smartphone, your computer etc. anything with a 3.5mm port. 

Cue up your music after setting up the speakers. They should be close to ear level.

Play just 3 of your favorite songs. I’m almost certain that you will sing along or feel good after a listening session.

Don’t believe me?! Try it. 

That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. — Henry David Thoreau. 

jackhifiguy

An audiophile is like a wine connoisseur. Audiophiles are trained listeners with high standards. On the other hand some people can't stand wine and have no clue what the fuss is all about. No shame, somebody is buying all that cheap beer. 

@russ69

I take that back --> I’m still in audiophile.

However, I am no longer spending money on hi-fi.

I just took the bass grill off the Logitech Z130. Wow. What a world of difference!

Bass lines are now clear/distinct.

sounds awesome!!

@jackhifiguy 

You can't take it back. You're listening to Logitech speakers...and loving it!

I can enjoy good music on computer speakers or a cheap boombox, like a normal person, and I certainly don’t look down on anyone who finds that good enough. But for me there’s a whole other layer of immersion and enjoyment when I hear the same music on my system. My enjoyment of the music and of the sound just blends together. At this point I rarely *focus* on sound quality and what might be lacking (even though my system only cost me what some people here have spent on a single component). So I wouldn’t lump all of us audio nerds/nuts in the overly analytical or "never satisfied" group. Just sayin’. ;)