I can prove your room is bad

So you want to upgrade?  You want to know what the next big thing is you can do for a better sounding experience?

Try this.  Pull up a chair 2' in front of your speakers.  If you can't move the speakers, put it up to just 1, and listen for yourself.

The difference between what you hear sitting in front of the speaker like this, and what you hear at your normal location is all in the speaker dispersion and room acoustics. If you feel mesmerized, entranced, and wowed by your speaker at 2' but not 8' you really should consider improving the room, and if you can't, consider getting speakers with alternative room coupling, like ESL's, line arrays, bi-polars, etc.

That is all,

Erik
erik_squires
While I'm a huge proponent of applying smart room treatments I don't believe the room should fail to influence the sound at all.  That's what's implied by suggesting the best sound you can get from your room is benchmarked at extreme nearfield listening.  Yes, get bass adsorption, yes get good diffusion, and eliminate wretched slap echo --- but it's OK to hear some influence by the room! We don't want to be listening in an anechoic chamber. It's pleasing for a little liveliness to enter the sonic picture...and yes, you can certainly overtreat a room. 
@erik_squires,Right on the money man. That is the way to go. Treat your room and be amazed. Then upgrade only if needed.Would love to see your room. You should certainly post your system here.
I just put my Deutsche Grammophon Placido Domingo Carmen on the turntable. Sitting at 2 feet, soundstage is bigger and wider (as it should be).  It's like I've just gotten a seat closer to the stage.  Amazingly, I still get convincing center fill and even more 3D.  Intriguing.  I'll continue to experiment.