i-170/SB/duet/slim devices transport........HELP

Can anyone shed some light on all this new tech for me?
I'm trying to take advantage of the convenience of my 160g I-pod with my main rig. I just bought a Bel Canto Dac-3 and was planning on buying an i-170 until I heard about the sb. Seems like a much better idea....I can leave the files on my ipod at 320k instead of uncompressed, for one thing.
My main questions are what do I need to get an sb up and running w my main rig? A router? A wii fi setup? I'm pretty computer illiterate. To be clear, what do I need in addition to the actual sb.

Secondly, there seem to be more options than just the sb. What is a duet? An upgraded sb? Also, there is a Slim Devices transport listed on Agon for $1200. Anyone hear one of these? Is there a big difference? I've even seen sb's w upgraded power sups going for up to $2000.

I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who has experience with these devices. Thanks.
trank

Showing 2 responses by trank

Yes, that's probably the route I will go. My computer is upstairs and main rig is downstairs. Any opinions on sb vs duet vs Slim Devices Transport? The Sonos and other hi-end servers are more than I want to spend right now.
Very informative. Thanks a lot. It looks like PS Audio is coming out with a really slick device, but I'm not sure it's been released yet and it's about $4000.

If I can access all my music from my computer for just a few hundred, I'm all over it:))

Read up on the Slim devices a little. Considering selling the Bel Canto, and using the Slm dev dac. Simpler, a little cheaper..........and It'll play hi rez formats. I'm thinking it's a little more future proof.

Still deciding. Thanks a lot for your input.