Hypex NCore 1200

Greetings,
I plan to purchase the class D NCore 1200 amps.
Has anyone compared these amps against those class A or A/B amps such as McIntosh MC501, Passlab XA160.5 or Lamm 1.2!?
Thanks
primare_cd31

Showing 7 responses by primare_cd31

I've contacted Kraemer design. However he has no longer making those cases for DIY NCore400.
I'd love to hear feedback from someone who have AB these amps with those fine SS amps. I understand being so specific on Pass and Lamm would make it harder to obtain feedbacks.
All I've heard from class D amp was coming from my subs! For bass, it is incredible but not sure about mid and high, etc
NCore is a new product I can't find a place to audition in Sydney, Australia

Thanks
Thank You all for your response. Much appreciated!

I've made payment for 1 pair of TRL600 amps. I'll soon find out and at least letting you know my feedback on the NCore1200 vs McIntosh MC501

Note: I've created a new account under Highfidelitysound user as I've realised I shouldn't name the account base on gear brand name!
I've finally received the TRL600 amps. I've broken in the amps through running the Isotek burn-in CD for a dozen times.
My initial feedback as follow:
1. Lots more gain comparing to my McIntosh MC501. This cause slight hum noise which have been using Granite Audio Ground Zero.
2. The sound is more powerful, better resolution, more detail and faster. These could be due to higher gain?
3. Mid bass and lower bass are their strong points.

However I feel the amps sound is somehow not very engaging. It is quite hard to explain but I'm not entirely sure if they sound better or just play louder. I used to have a heavily mod Primare CD31. My initial impression after the mod was like "Wow" but over times, I realised it just played louder. Hence created false impression of better sounding. I've then upgraded to the Esoteric K01 and it is a truly awesome player, not play loud but soulful. I just want to use these 2 CD players to express my feeling on the sound of the NC1200 vs MC501. Of course to my ears, the MC501 also have quite a number of weakness!

I've had HRS Nimbus/ Spacer under the amps with both top and bottom Nimbus.
I was in shock after removing the top Nimbus so the spacer contacts the bottom of the amp while the Nimbus isolate the Spacer and the hardwood amp platform. The sound is so so much better than my MC501 amps now. Really don't understand how these changes made a huge difference!
It seems 2 Nimbus caused too much damping. This has made the sound more heavy!